Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tractor
    Kubota L3430cab w/ FEL

Default Torque wrench

Just got my L3430 kubota last weekend. I have most of the tools I need already for maintenance but I don't have a torque wrench. Is it something that I need? Also what are some good brands to buy? Thanks

Haz

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Default Re: Torque wrench

No need to spend a lot of money. A Craftsman from Sears will do you fine. I suggest a 3/4" drive micrometer setting ("click") type of wrench. " drives would be OK, but tightening the blades on a mower deck might require a 3/4".
    Should go to at least 150 ft-lbs.

Tractor
    Kubota B3350 HSDC

Agree on the micrometer. I have the old fashioned bar type torgue wrench and it is a bear. Makes me think that I will take it back as the indicator rod is bent and I have to add or subract a bit to get the right value....I'll trade up to the micrometer....I like the idea of being able to concentrate on work and just listen for the click!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    BX2200

I just got the 1/2 inch drive bar type wrench. I use my wife to spot for me as I crush in to it. A click type would be better I guess, but I wanted the tool length for leverage. It ain't easy to push 108 ft lbs! At least not when you're a sissy hand engineer like me. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I have one of each. You get what you pay for. I had a $19 click type from Harb Freight that lasted 5 days,rebuilding a 72 Chevelle. I now have Craftsman.

Tractor
    L3010DT

Haz,

You have gotten some good advice. The micrometer clicker types are certainly they way to go. I occasionally use a 3/4" drive job at work for up to 450 ft lbs. Also use a needle sweep with a multiplier to get about 1200 ft lbs. That's a bear.

One point about the clicker style that hasn't been mentioned is proper care. The adjustment mechanism uses a spring. If you store it loaded up, eventually the spring will weaken and be out of calibration. It will take a long time (many months, maybe even a few years) to do the damage, but you'll likely have the wrench for a really long time. Simple maintenance to back off the load after each use. We try to do that at work, but then our wrenches go out for calibration annually.

Nick

Tractor
    NH TC45

I used to do those cals in the USAF -- the 2 primary reasons a wrench would be out of cal -- getting dropped - and being left at a setting other than the lowest setting on the wrench... where it should always be stored at.

Mike makes a very important point. Always unload the adjustment knob on the clickers after use if you want them to be accurate and treat them like a fairly delicate measuring tool. Always use slow even pulls then using them, don't do fast little jerking pulls, they won't be accurate if you do.

Avoid taking the wrench apart. Also, do not lubricate it. Both will affect the final readings. Purchase an injected molded storage case to protect the torque wrench. A calibration service told me that a newer torque wrench is more likely to be out of calibration due to the breaking in of new parts. After initial break-in, a quality torque wrench will hold it's calibration for approximately 10,000 cycles. I own a 3/8" Sears DigiTorque and a 1/2" Proto. These guys have calibrated both wrenches and I was pleased with their work and price. Team Torque

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7300; JD LX233

<font color="blue"> Purchase an injected molded storage case to protect the torque wrench. </font>

I picked up a pretty nice clicker version from a Napa store a few years back that came with the molded case. I paid $34.95, according to the price tag that I never took off [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Seems to work well - I've "tested" it against a neighbor's "guage" wrench and they were pretty darn close to each other. But I am careful to unwind it before storage.

Yeah, before y'all start - I probably could have gotten a Craftsman for less. But I was already at the store [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast