What Do You Do?

/ What Do You Do? #181  
I'm an a cost accountant in a manufacturing company. Grew up on a small farm growing hay, tobacco and cattle.

I have no idea how the financial focus of an accounting degree jives with the mostly unrecoverable expense of being a hobby farmer.

/ What Do You Do? #182  
I'm getting ready to graduate high school now, so my working experience is limited.

My dad owned a music shop for several years and I went with him for the day on Saturdays and assisted him with fixing amps, guitars, etc., as well as housekeeping. Highlight of the day was going across the road and getting hot dogs for lunch. :)

I do odd jobs for my grandparents and for a busy couple. I mowed the lawn at a church for a couple years and do yardwork for a couple neighbors off and on.

Last summer, as my first real job, I worked full-time for several weeks as a carpenter's assistant, where, at a few different locations, we built a porch, redid a floor, installed a few windows, patched a rotted wooden floor, and started demolishing a church's finished basement to prepare for restoration (that was the reason he hired me; he was behind and had to finish that job by a certain date). I enjoyed working for him and learned a lot, and I liked the fact that, as opposed to school, what I did was helping people, and I could sit back and look at my handiwork.

I'm currently doing a Network Plus independent study with my school's IT department. There are three other guys doing the same thing who also go there in their spare time and do odd jobs such as troubleshoot problems, reimage computers, build new computers, etc. (which is the kind of thing I'd like to start a career in), which I also do, but I have less time and am an "extra" person, so they can't pay me, but that's OK... gaining knowledge and experience is what counts at this point. I'm taking PC Repair at the same time, and I love how so much of the information overlaps.

/ What Do You Do? #183  
I own a smallshop of welding and repairs. Welding and industrial mechanic is my life since 1985

/ What Do You Do? #184  
I have a degree in Agriculture, however when I graduated I found a wonderful job in IT as a Project Manager for mammography software. I travel around the country implementing and teaching radiologist (doctors), technologist (x-ray takers), and assorted staff on how to use our software to track patients (especially those with breast cancer). I love my job, but I love being on the farm even more. (We all probably feel that way:D)

/ What Do You Do? #185  
Captain of towboats on the western rivers of this great country (USA) since 1989. Odd jobs before that and started as a deckhand in 1986.

/ What Do You Do? #186  
I work as a Mud Engineer in the oil and gas industry. Thus the handle
"Mud Dr." My primary duty is to maintain the properties of the drilling fluid (drilling mud) on a drilling rig. I work a 14 days on and 14 days off rotating schedule which I love. It gives me plenty of time to enjoy the things I love. Gardening, tractor work, boat building and restoring antique outboard motors.

/ What Do You Do? #187  
Been sailing since 84, Done just about everything in the marine world, Even sailed on one slightly infamous ship The Exxon Valdez two years before she hit Bligh Reef. Got to Captain some pretty cool ships and now sailing as a pilot. Do gotta say like Piston the time away from home can blow, but 6 months plus of vacation a year. I do enjoy the time off.

/ What Do You Do? #188  
Went to college not knowing what I wanted, ended up with degree for rec mgnt so I could manage a ski area.

Couldn't get in any of the ski areas, so I took a "filler job" for a export mgnt company. 10 years later I rose thru the ranks to Export Manager. We exported American Made Hand Tools all over the world.:thumbsup:

Started my own company doing On-site window blind cleaning which eventually expanded into sales and installs. 10 years later I sold it as the work kept expanding to the South and taking me away from my wife and newborn daughter.

Now, 7 years later, I am an outside Sales Rep, selling the MOST important product that EVERY company needs in order to run..... Toilet Paper :laughing:

/ What Do You Do? #189  
Mud Dr. said:
I work as a Mud Engineer in the oil and gas industry. Thus the handle
"Mud Dr."..... I work a 14 days on and 14 days off rotating schedule which I love.

I will soon (within the next 3-5 year need a new career, working on the road 50 weeks 3000 hour a year won't work very long once my oldes daugther will be old enough for school, then thy want be able to follow daddy on the road. So I am slowly starting to look for a 14-14 job. Northern Quebec is litterally booming now with mining. Like 10000 jobs fly in / fly out 14-14, and it will keep me at home in the country where there is no good local job. I don t want to relocate the family in a big city, we love it hers, and 6 months off a year can't be bad right ?

/ What Do You Do? #190  
I'm an a cost accountant in a manufacturing company. Grew up on a small farm growing hay, tobacco and cattle.

I have no idea how the financial focus of an accounting degree jives with the mostly unrecoverable expense of being a hobby farmer.

The enjoyment factor, with a peace of mind adder makes the ledger balance.