What Do You Do?

/ What Do You Do? #191  
EE_Bota said:
The enjoyment factor, with a peace of mind adder makes the ledger balance.

Very true and well said!

/ What Do You Do? #192  
Analyst at Missile Defense Agency. Can't say much more than that without getting into trouble.

/ What Do You Do? #193  
Licensed Plumbing Contractor, plumbin' since I was 15, payin' taxes since I
was 13.5, a young 53 today. Few do it better. See cover of Reeves Journal
Magazine, July 2002. Served a 5.5 year Union Apprenticeship, did
I say Few Do it better? :D

I would LOVE to find some folks w/ a large diversified farm who need help.
I want to see it, feel it, smell it, but mostly I want to do it to make sure I like it enough
to sell this place and get my own. Ask me how handy I am, ONLY if your
interested...

/ What Do You Do? #194  
Now, 7 years later, I am an outside Sales Rep, selling the MOST important product that EVERY company needs in order to run..... Toilet Paper :laughing:

Does that mean you're to blame for the combination tissue/sandpaper almost every public building uses? Can't you convince them to get some Charmin or something? :)

/ What Do You Do? #195  
Analyst at Missile Defense Agency. Can't say much more than that without getting into trouble.

No sweat...at least one person wondered why I posted jobs from over the years...it was to give a flavor of what I have learned, and what folks can expect me to know, and because I can't post what I do now, but can only refer to it in broad terms. It's nothing spooky...it is just my company's policy for folks like me.

/ What Do You Do? #196  
I grew up in the rural California foothills. Rural but not quite a farm. I had the good luck to get interested in electronics near the end of high school. I ended up pursuing electronics manufacturing engineering in the later part of the last century. I had the opportunity to develop test fixtures and procedures for:
- medical and research spectrophotometer, which use light diffraction to determine the chemical composition of liquids. Also biogama systems which use radiation to test medical biopsies.
- Power modules for the First generation of geopositioning satellites. At the time the military specs were "need to know". Now your car navigation system is (some times) more accurate.
- Merchant shipping engine room telemetry systems
- I then ended up in back in the Sierra foothills at a growing little company, Grass Valley Group, and in television business for 25 years testing, engineering, servicing selling and eventually marketing professional broadcast equipment around the world. Almost made the million mile club traveling - when flying was almost fun. Married a wonderful woman and we raised one son.
Ended up at Sony broadcast systems in Silicon Valley.
Being in marketing it was my job to forecast trends and I could see the devolution of the television industry (which is another essay) and the technology becoming disposable rather than serviceable. I ended up moving to a video networking company, betting on those stock options, just before for the dot com bomb (did not see that coming). I arrived in Chicago the morning of 911 (another story) by the time I got back to "the Valley " half the employees including me were eliminated - down sized, right sized etc .......
I had been making plans for five years to move into financial services / investment advising and this was the motivation -sink or swim - I guess I needed. My wife and I moved back to the country, Southern Oregon and bought our little bit of heaven. I'm now in year ten providing retirement planning, investment, and insurance services offering decades of life lessons and experience. My clients are up and down the west coast. Don't fly unless I have to just isn't as fun any more. Rather drive my tractor.
Thanks for asking.
RoN

Last edited:
   / What Do You Do? #197  
JoelD said:
Great posts

Best job ever is being my daughter's daddy!!

Joel

Thumbs up to this thread

Joel
It is as much fun, or even more, being a grandfather of two wonderful granddaughter.
Enjoy and thanks for including that in your post

Last edited:
   / What Do You Do? #198  
I served in the US Air Force for 4 years active duty, and was stationed around the world. I then became a police officer, and was on the job full time, for 16 years between the military, on several departments as a Federal, and State, and Local cop. I worked 2 years in Corrections, and I have been an EMT throughout my career. I also have been a flight crew member while deployed to bad places. I got called back in for OEF/OIF for 2 more years, and 3 surgeries to my right/left shoulders , and my right leg, after a blast, I am done, and I am living on a small farm in New Hampshire with my wife and 3 year old daughter. We have always had a small farm. Since I am a disabled veteran, the VA is paying for schooling so I can have a new career ,and I am going to school for Ultrasonography. Big change from the military/police career. I have also been looking at the Farmer-Veteran Coalition, and I have had help from the Wounded Warrior Program. I am glad to be on here, and this is a great community!

Mitch

Thank You for your service to Country and community.

/ What Do You Do? #200  
Thank You for your service to Country and community.

Thank you, I would do it all over again, if I wasn't so broken from it, but besides getting injured, that was why I joined, to serve, not for the schooling. I met some of the best people I have ever met in my life in the military, and I miss it. Every day I thank god that I live in a country that we have freedom of speech, and can be free. After spending times in those holes, it really changes your outlook on life. I appreciate it, and were you in also? I see sgt in your screen name?