Splitting Wood and Fuel

/ Splitting Wood and Fuel #1  

uphere

Silver Member
Maybe it is just me but I find one of my biggest fuel users is my 3pth wood splitter - I can go through half a tank in 6 hours ... and I am only running at 1000rpm?

/ Splitting Wood and Fuel #2  
My vote is "it's just you" . :D

So it takes 12 hours to use a tank of gas? :confused2: DUDE!

/ Splitting Wood and Fuel #4  
i split wood with a 3ph splitter. it is a split fire model that splits in both directions. the tractor does use more fuel then my gas self contained splitter, but i can split faster and easier on the 3ph off the tractor then i can with my mtd self contained splitter. so much better that i am selling my mtd splitter. my split fire splitter can split a face cord (16" lenght blocks) in about 20 minutes or a full cord in about 1 hour. not super speedy but faster then my mtd. i will never go back to a splitter that only splits in one direction and i really like my 3ph splitter. i run about 2000 rpm to get full gpm flow and will use a under a gallon in about an hour, give/take. so it costs me about $4.00 to split $165 dollars worth of fire wood. sounds like your set up uses a little less fuel as my tank would be about empty in about 8-9 hours.

/ Splitting Wood and Fuel
Thanks guys - glad to know it's me ... (it's diesel) but I had an old International (624) that use to split all day and it seemed to use way less fuel. With the price of fuel, I may have to feed the wood into the stove in 8ft lengths! :)

/ Splitting Wood and Fuel #6  
Thanks guys - glad to know it's me ... (it's diesel) but I had an old International (624) that use to split all day and it seemed to use way less fuel. With the price of fuel, I may have to feed the wood into the stove in 8ft lengths! :)

I notice my 25 year old JD runs less time now on a tankful than it did when I first got it and several years after that. I'm thinking its the additives they are putting in now to have diesel burn cleaner that are making it not as energy dense as it used to be.

/ Splitting Wood and Fuel
Interesting point ... maybe that is just normal. As I get older I take in more "fluids" (beer) and seem to have less energy? :)