air compressor

/ air compressor #11  
hockey pucks makes good mounts when bolting to the floor.

/ air compressor #12  
Raspy nailed it right! CFM is the question that needs answering!
I had a compressor for sale that a friend was interested in, but he bought a "bigger one" from the box store. He couldn't run his impact wrench with the new one for a complete set of tires (doing a tire rotation)without having to wait on it to build up. He came over with his impact and we did my truck tires with that air compressor and it never even slowed down. He ended up buying mine and hooking the two up in tandom. He uses the cheap one for airing up tires and such, and mine (or both of them together) when he needs some serious air.
The size of the tank has very little to do with the performance of the unit as a whole.
David from jax

/ air compressor #13  
I have a IR 60 gal 2 stage, bought new in 1987, works great, no problems and is still on pallet. Makes it is easy to drain tank. I installed 2' lenght of 1/2" hydralic hose and plumbed garage with 1/2" galvanized pipe, sloped down hill back to tank. I use IR synthetic oil. A two stage will give you 150 psi +, and single stage 125 psi max. Be sure to get enough CFM, check max use on your tools.:thumbsup:

/ air compressor #14  
A two stage will give you 150 psi +, and single stage 125 psi max.

That used to be correct, and as a general rule still is, but there are exceptions. I've had this Industrial Air by Coleman PowerMate for over 6 years. It comes on at 125 psi and kicks off between 150 and 155 psi running on 120 volt.

And prices have sure gone up.:D I paid $536.08, including sales tax, at Northern Tool in Sept. '05. But Northern Tool doesn't have these anymore.

/ air compressor #15  
Larry,

230 volts at 15 Amps is only 4.6 horsepower. If that is the "max" it can draw it must be full locked rotor amps, not running amps. So it's more likely about 3 horsepower.

More important information is the cu ft output at 90 PSI.

Overstated horsepower figures are common in the industry.

Another clue is to look at the motor plate and see what it says. If it says SPL, it means it's less than advertised on the compressor spec sheet. If it says 5 Horsepower, it means 5 running horsepower.

People should buy the biggest compressor they can afford and have power to run, for a shop, or match the output in CFM to the tool they want to operate. 18 CFM at 90 psi will comfortably run a 12 CFM tool at 90 psi, etc.

And single stage compressors will generally put out more CFM in the practical working range, than two stage compressors. Two stage is for working pressures over about 130 lbs.

I just hate all the misleading advertising that goes on.

/ air compressor #16  
John, after some class action lawsuits, some of the exaggerated horsepower ratings came way down, although I'm no sure they all came down far enough.:laughing: You know I once had a "3.5 hp" oilless Craftsman by DeVilbiss and they later went to labelling the same compressor as "4 hp". And now I think they're rated at 1.6 running hp. I also used to have this same model Puma air-compressor when they were labelled as "6 hp". The dealer told me at that time that they called them an "imitation 6 hp" and showed me one of their actual 5 hp motors that, of course, was much larger. I see the Puma is now labelled as 3 hp and I'm not sure that isn't still exaggerating a bit.

/ air compressor #17  
Bird,

Exactly.

Have you seen the 6 HP shop vacs that run on a 15 amp 120 volt circuit? I think they take the gallon size of the barrel and call that the HP. It would be OK if nobody believed them, but................oh well.:confused2:

/ air compressor #18  
Bird,

Exactly.

Have you seen the 6 HP shop vacs that run on a 15 amp 120 volt circuit? I think they take the gallon size of the barrel and call that the HP. It would be OK if nobody believed them, but................oh well.:confused2:

My 12 gallon Craftsman shop vac is labelled as a 5 hp. You don't think that's an exaggeration, do you?:laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ air compressor #19  
The specs on the Eaton compressors look very good, and the 5 year unlimited warranty is exceptional. Another thing I like about their website is that they give db ratings for their compressors. Their $541 single stage is 74db (pretty quiet), and 11.2 cfm at 90lb. That seems like a lot of compressor for the money, however shipping isn't include so that may drive the cost up considerably. Does anyone have experience with these compressors?

3 - 25 HP Air Compressors : Piston Air Compressors for Sale : EatonCompressor.com