Quick connect leak on my new fel

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a leak around the quick connect of my L3830 fel. the quick connect is real hard to put on compared to the other three. Any advice appreciated. Justy got it yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif checked the fluid it was on the bottom line. Was wanting to work it tomorrow or should I park it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #2  
If I understand where the leak is, it's the female connector on a hose to the loader. It plugs onto a male connector at the FEL valve. If so, it sounds as if you have gotten either a bad connector (you can easily unscrew it from the hose and replace it) or there may be a snap ring in there that isn't properly seated. If you take the FEL off and top off the hydraulic fluid in the tractor, you can use the tractor. I think the "fix" will be a 5 to 10 minute job. Just be careful that you don't have a high pressure leak hit you with the tractor engine running.

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #3  
If you can't stop the quick coupler from leaking just take the loader off until you can get one.
If you need the loader and have an extra rear remote with the same size coupler switch it with your loader until you get a replacement.
Either way you still get to use the tractor.

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel
Thanks Bird and Vince, I will check to see if any extra quick connects in the back. I have a backhoe on there now. That gives me a little piece of mind, just got the tractor.

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #5  
Shane, if the quickcoupler is hard to push on or hard to take off, often times it's because there is pressure in the system. You need to release that pressure first. Moving the valve around usually releases it so its easy to remove. Popping the steel ball on the male fitting can aid in getting it back on. As mentioned, there is a O ring in the quickcoupler that when it goes bad can leak some good amounts of fluid. Take a flashlight and look inside to see it its eaten up. I use a sharp pin like tool to fish it out. Go to a hardware store and size up the old one. It will all become obvious in no time how this stuff works. Worst case tell the dealer and have them send a coupler and have some teflon tape. Rat...

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #6  
<font color="blue">...have some teflon tape...</font>

Often times, teflon tape can do more harm than good... by a "broken piece" being dislodged into the hydraulic system, hanging up close tolerance valves, hurting pumps... this is certainly different from one working on their own "plumbing" in their homes water lines...

With today's hydraulic fittings, o rings and thread design... being "properly" tightened normally eliminates any nuisance leaking/problems... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #7  
Hi,

From the description that you gave here, I had exactly the same problem. In my case the rubber seal inside the female connector was out of place, and when I forced the connector together it took a small chuck out of the seal itself. I disconnected the connector, and got a new seal at TSC. The seal was $.60. I would definitely check to make sure that isn't your problem before you go any further. Its simple, and cheap to fix. Good Luck.

Kent

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #8  
John, for the last couple of years on all of these forums, people have cautioned about not using teflon tape on hydraulic fittings. How much of a lamebrain does it take to leave a piece of tape hanging past the threads to break off? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm pretty sure a blind monkey could tape up a connector and be 100% sure the tape is not going to break off. Of course you do have to wrap the tape the right direction, (not brain surgery).

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #9  
When I first got out of college, the company I worked for built custom machines for IBM. Most of the assemblers were toolmakers with many years of experience. There were a few "blind monkeys", as can occur anywhere. IBM has a standard which forbids the use of teflon tape on fittings for just the reason described. We either had to use tube based sealent (SWAK),
or buy fittings with sealant already applied.

I just got an FEL for my B2400 about a month ago. The first time I removed and installed the loader, one of the quick-couplers started to leak. I tried reseating it the the leak persisted. I called the dealer who thought it was probably a o-ring. As he was swamped with work, I offered to remove the fittings and just do a swap. I did have a bit of a hard time getting the hose fitting off. The flare wrench I have would not fit, and the open end wrench rounded the hose nut /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Anyway, after a little heat, the swap was complete and the leak was gone. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #10  
Oh so many worries and concerns in life /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Flared and compression O ring fittings do not require teflon tape, any tapered thread fitting normally does. These fittings are still quite abundant today. The tape acts as a lubricant and sealer, risking a piece entering the system is nil when done properly. For the really cautious, you could avoid the lubricating and sealing properties of teflon tape, and use a designated pipe dope. Being the spirited individual, I'll be adventursome and risk the tape. Rat...