ordinance to ban tractors

/ ordinance to ban tractors #1  

markct

Platinum Member
Tractor
gradall g3r excavator, kawasaki mule 2500,ford 8000,and a 1936 caterpillar road grader
i saw this post on another discusion board, i thought it might be of interest to some of you guys here,it is happening in the town of prospect connecticut which is not too far from me, i didnt write the original post below, i just coppied it from another board

The town I live in(Prospect,CT)is about to replace our zoning rules with a brand-new 180 page zoning book. This book is NOT going to made available to us until AFTER it is passed by the board. They made it clear they intend to pass it. They MAY leave a copy at the library for us to look at. Here are some of the points that we learned about at Thursday's meeting. No garage in a residential zone can be over 1,000 sq ft,3 cars or 50% the size of the dwelling. Cover-it type garages are BANNED. Fine is $150 per day. ATV or Dirtbike use is NOT ALLOWED in a residential zone. It doesn't matter if you have 1 acre or 100 acres,they are BANNED. Fine is $150 per day. And here's one that you will all like. NO vehicle over 10,000 lb. is allowed in a residential zone. This means ANY vehicle including BACKHOES or equipment of any type. A guy got up and stated that his land has been a farm for generations and that he has always had a backhoe. His machine weighs 12,000lbs. The board told him that there is NO "farm" zone. If his land is in a residential zone his machine is not allowed. The man stated that he sometimes needs to use it. The board told him that they are not going to allow a backhoe to be sitting around for the few times he may need to use it. They also told us that "there is no reason for somebody in a residential zone to have a backhoe". Again size of property makes no difference. Fine is $150 per day........When I do get to see the paperwork I will post the actual wording.

/ ordinance to ban tractors #2  
What a load of #$^$#*#@$%^&*^% /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Find out if Prospect has a web site. I'd sure love to give them an idea what a free society is.
DaveL

/ ordinance to ban tractors #4  
That just doesn't sound right to me. There has to be much more to it than this.

/ ordinance to ban tractors #5  
I agree. There must be a big part of this whole story NOT being told here.

/ ordinance to ban tractors #6  
Right or wrong, I just emailed the town, copied the post, gave them some mild mannered grief about the farmer depicted, and asked them to respond. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Freedom in action.
DaveL

/ ordinance to ban tractors #7  
My wife is the chairperson of the Zoning Board of Appeals in the township where we live and she told me that:
1. It is the law that the board must have a public hearing before passage of any zoning ordinance.
2. They have to have a copy available for public view prior to the public hearing
3. If the ordinances' pass, it is the citizens right to have a public referendum of the ordinance or ordinances.

The above are all laws in any of the States of the Union.

I don't think as Paul Harvey says, that you have "the rest of the story"

/ ordinance to ban tractors
yea i agree that there is probably more that we dont know yet, but from what i hear part of the problem is that prospect has no farm or combined ag/residnetial use zoning,just everywheres that there are house is residential. here in my town luckly we are zoned as combined use, which means agricultural and residential,not to say that they couldnt try something like that here, i would be in trouble

/ ordinance to ban tractors #9  
Oh I wouldn't be too surprized if thye post is correct. The town I live in zoned agriculture out of existance 12 years ago, and made the whole town residential or business, except for a patch on both sides of a railroad that they made industrial.
Unfortunately for the town politicians, they didn't bother to ask the State if they could do it, or realize there are registered agricultural lands in the town. NOW, they are real pi$$ed cause us nonexistant farms have special rights as members of the ag district.
Petty power hungry politicians just love to make rules they like, or special rules for their friends who are developers.
Right now, there's a case in a Pennsylvania town where developers got a special ordinance prohibiting horses. Oddly, some high powered attorneys, who just happen to dislike the developers are representing a couple Amish familys so they can keep their horses and drive their carriges. The politicians don't care cause the town's legal bills are paid by the taxpayer.
Absolute power in the hands of few corrupts completely.