FEL as Concrete Caddy?

/ FEL as Concrete Caddy? #1  

Gomez

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2400
I'm about to pour a small (9x12) concrete slab. I'm debating whether to
have it delivered and use my FEL to shuttle the concrete from the truck to the pad's location (about 75'), or rent a mixer in addition to a friend's mixer. I only need about one and a third yards, so I figure it would take about 12-15 trips @ 3 cu. ft/ load to haul everything.
Versus mixing 50+ 80# bags in the machines.

Writing this has pretty much answered my question, except for my concern about concrete residue. My plan is to have the pressure washer standing by and doing a good cleaning immediately after the transfer is completed.

Any comments would be appreciated.

/ FEL as Concrete Caddy? #2  
The only potential problem is aggregate segregation. In other words traveling with the concrete unmixes the aggreagate as the heavier aggreagate settles. You don't have a long transport distance and the slab isn't a sructural component so any segregation of the aggregate shouldn't weaken the concrete too much.

/ FEL as Concrete Caddy? #3  
That's a pretty small load for a ready mix truck. Another option is a rentable tow-behind-your pickup/SUV mixer. Another option, if you will be pouring more in the future, is a 3 point pto driven mixer.

/ FEL as Concrete Caddy?
The guy I'll probably be using has a metered truck (I'm not sure what
the official name is). The mixing occurs as the materials leave the truck.
If I recall, I think he will deliver as small as a yard.

Hmmm...one of those obvious things I need to check. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ FEL as Concrete Caddy? #5  
Remember, - concrete is "liquid" You won't be able to put as much in your bucket as you could dirt. And you will slosh as you bounce. Probably get twice as much in a wheel barrow as in your loader bucket and 75' isn't that far. I would just use the wheelbarrow myself unless it's all up-hill, or if you don't want to do that, I would rent a small concrete buggy for the job. They have a nice dumping bucket on the front, and will handle the load in 1 or 2 trips. 2 teenagers with wheelbarrows would be cheaper though.

/ FEL as Concrete Caddy? #6  
I would think the concrete would set to quickly for you to get all there with the FEL. you would definitely need a handful of people to help level out the concrete while you were hauling. U-haul ready-mix is a good option if the concrete plant is close and you can dump it directly to the forms. I've mixed 80lb bags in my FEL, it sloshes & makes a mess all over. I think either way you'll probably want 3 or 4 people there too help.

/ FEL as Concrete Caddy? #7  
if we are talking about 75' why not just back that truck right up to where you are pouring? it do much damage if there is nothing underground.

/ FEL as Concrete Caddy? #8  
Gomez,

Should not be a problem. Did the same thing when I poured my back patio. 16X 14. Just keep a hose handy and spray down the bucket before each load and you should not have any resedue. You shouldn't have very much problem with sloshing if the concrete is mixed to the right consistancy. If it sloshes too much it probably has too much water in the mix and will be weakened.

Good luck and have fun. Make sure to take pics and let us see your project. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ FEL as Concrete Caddy? #9  
I wouldn't think twice about doing it, we've done it quite a number of times with our loader tractors over the years. Never have difficulties with material separating out, never any difficulties with cleaning up the residue afterwards (no need for a pressure washer, a hose will do just fine), or setting up too early.

Use that bucket, you bought it to work for you, and this is a good application for it.

/ FEL as Concrete Caddy? #10  
i wonder tho if the driver is going to be willing to wait around while u make 12 or 15 trips? plus u will need some extra hands to level and float it. any reason why he can't get close enough to use the shute?