hydraulic fluid

/ hydraulic fluid #1  

19th_VA

Gold Member
Tractor
Branson 3520
How often should you have to add hydraulic fluid? I know it depends on many factors, so I'll fill you in a bit on my situation. My main hydraulic pump holds just under 9 gallons and I have operated the tractor for about 25 hours. It appears I need to add a few quarts. Is this normal?

/ hydraulic fluid #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is this normal? )</font>

I don't think so. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif If you don't have a leak, why would you ever need to add any. The only time I added any to my Kubotas was when I changed the fluid and filters.

/ hydraulic fluid #3  
Yeah I would think that you would have a leak somewhere. Are you sure the tractor was fully filled up before ? If you can't find it leaking out anywhere check your engine oil. A bad pump seal on many tractors will dump hydraulic fluid into the crankcase.

/ hydraulic fluid
It was full when purchased. I'll check the crankcase. That sounds bad. Also the connectors for leaks. Thanks!

/ hydraulic fluid #5  
not knowing if you have bh or fel on it, but if so, you might want to make sure they are all "tucked in" (as in retracted).

I've looked at the indicator I have on Brutus for my hyd fluid (a nice window on the resevoir) and can vouch that the level can move signicantly up or down depending if the loader or backhoe or stablilizers are extended or retracted...even being on a slope will change it to point of seeming to have NO fluid showing in window whereas when put back on level ground, fluid level is fine.

Just food for thought.

Richard

/ hydraulic fluid #6  
Did you add any implements since it was new that use hydraulic fluid? I added a TSC log splitter and that took a little over a GALLON out of my tractor (I guess it now resides in the lines and cylinder...) I didn't realize it took so much....

Mark

/ hydraulic fluid #7  
Hey Jonathan,

I doubt you have a problem with the fluid getting into the crankcase.
After looking at your pictures of the land you are mowing, my bet is you have a leak on a hydraulic line ( probably at a connection). As you have no doubt discovered, the brush you are mowing has an uncanny ability to find its way into the most unlikely places on the tractor, no matter how well protected it seems to be.

dannce

/ hydraulic fluid
Thanks for the ideas. Let's see... Richard--I don't think this is the problem, as the fel is tucked in and in addition to noticing the fluid missing from the resevoir, I noticed a decrease in performance of the loader. Markie, no I have not added any hydraulic implements. Dance--I'll check all the connections carefully. I think you may be right here. I've "picked" (more like ripped) a couple of saplings out that have lodged themselves in and this may be the problem. Interestingly, I now remember that my dealer said he had to add a gallon of hydraulic fluid before delivery which seems odd since the tractor just sat in his lot for 6 months. I'll add some fluid, keep an eye on it and take it in for its 50 hour service and have it checked out. Will also check the crankcase, just in case. Thanks to all.

/ hydraulic fluid #9  
Hello,
I recently purchased a Kubota BX2350 with MMM and FEL and I had nothing but problems with it. First, the mower deck wouldn't go up and down, it gets at "Top" and get stuck there. Second, the second time I mowed (the first time was only for about 10 minutes), the back wheel and axle came off about 6 inches out of the hub, and lost all fluid. The dealer said it did not have the snap ring on it, fixed it and got the tractor back. Now it has fluid leake (very little though) from the hub. Mower still gets stuck, last time when it ran over a ditch it got released. But I am afraid it will do that again at "Top" setting.

My question is , has anyone successfully returned or exchanged the tractor for a new one? I bought it two weeks ago. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. How can I go about returning or exchanging it? The dealer is a great guy.

Thanks!

/ hydraulic fluid #10  
Wow.. between you and the dealer.. you are really going thru hyd oil pretty good.

Normally you can loose some when hooking / unhooking implements needing remotes.. especially the SA ones.. and nes that self bleed..e tc.

DO look at your crankcase to see if you are making oil.. that would be very bad.. in fact.. I've seen em so full that it was coming out dipstick holes and breathers..

If that's not it... you need to find where your dripping / seeping is occouring.

You can look for wet dirty spots where dust might be collecting on a leak.. or park over cardboard.. etc.. but DO find it.

DON'T try to find it with your hands while the machine is running. in the very unlikely event that you have a pinhole in a line or hose it could be spraying a microscopic line of fluid that almost seems like vapor... use cardboard waved over lines to find this.. as oil can inject into your skin under high pressure and cause life threatoning consequences usually involving amputations.. etc..

Soundguy