Which tractor and hp range?

/ Which tractor and hp range? #1  

JMER

Bronze Member
Tractor
GC2600
I really need some help on which tractor/hp/attachments I will need for my situation. We are building a house on 2 acres. Has underbrush and some small trees (3-4" diameter) I'll want to take out. Will want to do a lot of landscaping with it, have sloped areas I'll want to even out a little big. Digging lots of holes, prepping area for large garden, building a shop, moving landscape materials. Would like to get a Kubota/JD or NewHolland as they offer closest dealer support.

Which hp range would you suggest, which models, which attachments (vs attachments I could rent). I would like to stay under $25k including taxes. Thank you all very much! Been reading on here for a week now but want to get some ideas specific to my situation.

/ Which tractor and hp range? #2  
JMER, I don't know those lines but it's a good idea to buy something with a close by dealer. Considering the heavy duty stuff you need to do I'd buy the biggest machine you can get for your budget. Later on, after you have the two acres set the way you want it you might trade down to a smaller machine just for maintenance.

/ Which tractor and hp range? #3  
I can say that I have 2 1/2 acres with few trees, and I have a jd 1070 (39hp) and is much more than I need. I only bought it because I got a real good deal on it. I was actually looking at things in the 24hp range and I still believe that would be enough. The one thing that I wish that I had is 4wd. I would definitely give up some hp for 4wd.

The only time I think that having too big of tractor (within reason) is a disadvantage is if mowing with a 3pt mower. It is hard to maneuver sometimes and is not easy on the lawn. That's why when I was looking I wanted something with a belly mower.

Future plans include getting a large riding mower or possibly a ztr, then getting a larger tractor and getting rid of this. I am kind of stuck in the middle sometimes where the tractor is too large to be practical to do some things, but not large enough to do other things. Of course the things it is too small for aren't things that I need for my property though.

I think as far as brand, between the 3 you listed it just comes down to what color you like. I am sure this may start a jd vs. kubota vs. nh bash, but realistically they all make pretty good tractors and are priced pretty competitively. I could be wrong but it seems that kubota may be on the lower end of the price spectrum with comparable features between the three. Around me anyway, deere has the most accessible dealer network, and most parts are readily available, even for a 20 year old tractor.

/ Which tractor and hp range? #4  
Check out the john deere 3000 series or the 4005 and 4105. Some dealers offer package deals with trailer,tractor,loader,shredder and box blade or a combo of other tools. One thing i would look at is a loader with, i think its called quick attach where you can put bobcat attachments on it that you can rent. I hope this helps some. I'm not saying deere is better then other makes its just whats sold locally here with out driveing 70 mile for something else.

/ Which tractor and hp range? #5  
I suggest you have as much of the landscaping work (as you can) be done by the contractor (or contract the work out yourself).
I love compact tractors (on my third one), but there is work that is done better and faster (and probably cheaper) by larger equipment.
With proper planning, I think 90% of the work (leveling slopes...area for your shop, etc.) you describe could be done by a contractor before you build your house.
Then, you can better determine which tractor fits your needs best for the remainder of the work. By that time, I think a 25 HP CUT would suffice for your needs.

/ Which tractor and hp range?
Thanks very much for the replies. I agree on the 30hp range, that is what I was thinking too. Good points on the attachment idea w/the bobcat attachments. Will definitely be renting some. The belly mower is a must for me. Won't have all 2 acres in grass. I looked at NH boomer 30hp today and really really liked it. Dealer was closed so no idea on price but my dad has worked for them for 35 years so I am partial! Thanks for the point about 4x4, wasn't sure on that but sounds like it would be worth it.

Anyone have experience w/Boomer 30? Would probably get w/FEL and backhoe... assume belly mower can be added. Anyone know if the boomers have the easy attach for FEL/backhoe like JD?

Last edited:
   / Which tractor and hp range? #7  
30hp is a good range in what your looking for.The 4x4 i was to told is like adding 15% hp on a two wheeel drive,don't know if that makes any sence or if there is anything to it. Have used a early model TC30 boomer and handles a shredder with no problem. I can't see why you couldn't get a belly mower i'v seen them on deere and kubota.

/ Which tractor and hp range? #8  
I'm not sure if you were referring to my post or the other about the belly mower, it's not that I can't have a belly mower but I got the tractor with the 3 point mower and finding the belly mower would not be that easy unless I go to the dealer and pay a lot of money. Also the mid pto is an option on my tractor that I don't have and the parts to get it to work are very expensive.

/ Which tractor and hp range? #9  
You do have a common problem, a sub-compact can do all that you need after the property is done but a larger unit can get it done faster for the immediate work. A unit like a BX 25 would get all your work done and be less then the amount you want to spend and it all could be new. A B-series Kubota like a B-2320 would also work but you'd be puhing your budget.

/ Which tractor and hp range?
I guess I'm really not that concerned with the mid-mount mower. For the price of that I could just get a sparate riding mower. Most important is clearing brush and small trees, landscaping and tilling garden. I'm thinking I'd really be okay with just a FEL, some type of teeth for it for brush (?) and then some type of tiller for the garden and post hole digger for fencing and for digging holes for plants and trees.

So I'm thinking as I type... I assume weight and hp would be most important to me. I can save a bunch by not getting a BH and just getting the FEL, post hole digger and tiller.