Just purchased a farm

/ Just purchased a farm #31  
Renting your land to a farmer with a going concern is a great idea. It takes away all the time pressure to figure out what you want to do. You'll keep your tax status, you can learn a lot about what your land is good for, and you're making a few bucks while you do it.

Excellent advice!:thumbsup:

/ Just purchased a farm #32  
I'm in Giles county just south of you. I too bought the farm two years ago but do have a lot of past experience in various farm activities. My heifers just dropped their first calfs, sure are pretty.

That being said, they do take a fair bit of time. However, I know other farmers that get away with little effort and seem to do okay.

I had a JD 5300 before I moved here. First, a FEL will be the most used part of a tractor. Not a day goes by I don't use it for something. I'm an equipment junkie and would like to own all the toys mentioned above, but the wallet won't support that habit. SSL are nice, but a good heavy tractor and loader will do you fine. You said you didn't have any tractor experience so I heartily recommend getting a new or almost new one through a local dealer you can depend on. Farming is tough on equipment and unless you are a pretty good mechanic, service and repairs are something you will need to get help with.

My farm has pretty good slopes. The 5300 is 2WD and they are not forgiving to novice operators. For both safety and performance, I recommend a utility size with 4wd. The added weight and stability will give you much better performance for dirt work, and just about every other chore. The compacts are okay, wish I could add one for mowing and raking hay, but if you are going to do with just one machine, I think you will find the compacts lacking. (no offense to those that have one, like I said, sure wish I could add one!).

The horsepower you select will depend on how much time you have to get everything done. I'm getting by with 55 hp for haying, Bushhogging, grading, plowing, and just about everything else. However, I can barely keep up with all the chores and make the improvements the farm needs. Yes, you can Bushhog a 100 acres with 40 hp and a 5' cutter, but it will take you over twice as long as a 10' cutter on 80 horses. If you are maintaining a full time job, you better revise your farming plans using low horsepower.

I totally agree hay making is expensive and poor return for small acreage. BUT - the first time you can't get your hay in when it needs to be done - you will probably change your mind. Start out small with going halfs on the hay, add some equipment a little at a time and gain experience too, without a huge initial outlay.

Make friends and be a good neighbor. Most of the farmers around you will help and give you good advice. They know what works in your area, where to get deals on equipment, and will be invaluable in case you need another pair of hands. Renting out the pastures the first year might be good way for you to develop a good relationship and many free lessons!

Sorry for the long post. Since I bleed green, my recommendation is a JD 5000 series, 75 to 100 hp. If you plan on doing hay, I'd err towards the 100 side, but no less than 65 if you are going to round bale. I pull a 4x5 and I have to be really cautious of down slopes.

For the bigger jobs, either hire heavy equipment or at least rent. You can get a 650 dozer for a week from Columbia for $1600. That would cleanup a lot in short order.

Good luck and please be careful.

/ Just purchased a farm #33  
Lots of good advice above, and I will summarize it by the old adage:
"Want to know how to make a small fortune? Take a large fortune and start farming.":)

In the 1960's Winthrop Rockefeller had a place in Oklahoma called Winrock Farms. Common knowledge that it was not a good investment. Lots of risk: cost of feed, fertilizer, fuel, and the price of your products (hay, cattle, chickens, or whatever).

/ Just purchased a farm #34  
GreaseMonkey, I was about to say: To make a small fortune farming, you start with a large fortune. You beat me to the punch there. I hate to be negative but I also heard a lottery winner say "Well I guess I'll keep farming until the money runs out" in response to "What are you planing to do with the money."

Truth is, if your good at what you do, you will always be in demand. I wish you the best of luck and good fortune.

I also feel that sometimes a farm would be profitable with some young (read new) blood. The "same ol'" "same ol'" sometimes weare one down and a "new set of problems" (or even just location) is enough to get things really going and back on track. Motivation of one's self can be a constant battle, however it is much easier when your mind is refreshed with a new setting.

/ Just purchased a farm #35  
I hate to say it, but it seams like the only way to get real money out of farming is by playing the government subsidies game.

for a small farm like that, you almost have to go with high priced organic crops to make a go of it.

/ Just purchased a farm #36  
Lots of good advice above, and I will summarize it by the old adage:
"Want to know how to make a small fortune? Take a large fortune and start farming.":)

In the 1960's Winthrop Rockefeller had a place in Oklahoma called Winrock Farms. Common knowledge that it was not a good investment. Lots of risk: cost of feed, fertilizer, fuel, and the price of your products (hay, cattle, chickens, or whatever).

WinRock farms is on Petite Jean Mountain in Arkansas........

/ Just purchased a farm #37  
Part of Winrock Farms is in Arkansas and possibly other states, but the portion he lost his ***** on was the land he bought in Murray and Johnston Counties, Oklahoma.

/ Just purchased a farm #38  
What ever color tractor you decide find one that is low and can be wide. Stability for a novice is important. Find a good dealership to help. Older tractors are not bad if in good condition. Finding a loader with a quick attach bucket is a must.
Bob

/ Just purchased a farm #39  
Consider a skid steer and a smaller tractor instead of a big tractor with a loader.You will have a lot more versatility with the implements you can rent for the skid steer
I have found that my skid steer is my go to machine more often than the tractor on my similar ,but smaller 42 acres.A 45hp tractor with a loader is really just a 45hp wheelbarrow and I sold my newer big one to get the skidsteer and small tractor,also you can have some extra income potential doing skid steer work .Congratulations on your new lifestyle choice you will have no regrets.
John

I second that, I have a skid steer myself and it is so versatile yet powerful i cant see how i went so long without one. We have had a set up with both a skid steer and a tractor and IMHO it was the best set up you can have for your property. The skid steer can do all the heavy work and the tractor can come along and do the finish work. You can get a decent used skid steer for around $10k-$15k, a tractor will be around $10k-$30k depending on whether it is a used machine, new, attachments, etc. To be sure it all would work out, I would rent both a compact tractor and a skid steer and see how the pair would work out on your land. It could be better suited for a larger 75-100 hp tractor, im not sure as I have never seen the land myself. Just my :2cents:

/ Just purchased a farm
Still reading. Again, I don't make decisions very quickly when it involves money and knowledge. I am short on money but knowledge is abundant and can be found in a lot of places.

Just have to sort through it all and decide what is best. There is a lot of rock in Rutherford County. Walked some of the property yesterday evening. THere are some nice straight hardwoods that can be harvested. There is some nice land that should make good pasture in those woods.

THere are places with nothing but scrub cedar that is full of rocks. Will probably cut into those cedars to get to the rocks. They would be easy pickens to fill in low spots in the roads.

The pastures have a lot of grass but it appears to be a lot of the broom straw variety. So I know I will have to sow out some fescue. Will find out if I should also seed or overseed with clover.

I am pretty sure it will need fertilizer. But I will find out soon enough how much that stuff costs. Maybe I can get a big tank and put in a lot of cow patties to get a good mixture and spray it on the grass. THere is one barn that has a side of it that is open to the elements which must be 2-4" full of dried manure from goats.

The land is hilly and that does concern me as I don't want to end up with a tractor on top of me.