Securing your tractor

/ Securing your tractor #11  
A lot of padlocks are easily opened with nothing more than the blow from a hammer in the right place. They show shooting master padlocks with a .44 magnum, and they do not open.. but one little lick with a hammer in the right place..... let alone with the proliferation of 18V cordless tools as was pointed out.. yep locks and chains are not much good. Might keep a child from messing with it but not a thief.

James K0UA

/ Securing your tractor #12  
I just buy some insurance.

/ Securing your tractor #13  
They stole my tractor with a disconnected battery and a 3/8 inch tempered log chain wrapped around and through it. They used a cutting torch to cut the chain. The location it was in they must have used some type of hoist maybe like on a brick or block delivery truck and lifted it up and took it (had it chained to a utility pole on a hill). Never saw it again. Thank god for insurance.

/ Securing your tractor #14  
Whiskywiz.

I have to agree a lock and chain to a determined thief is nothing,
Remember, most all thief's want things as quite as possible while, them scum
steal your property.

Also remember tractors are valuable and very easy to sell, so the thief will do his homework in certain areas he chooses. They read the for sale section and target those tractors, and scout out the area. They usually strike between the early morning hours between 2am and 3am, these times are when most people are in deep sleep.
The thief's will always try to move the tractor with out starting it, to get it as far from the residence as possible where they load it in a closed van ect.

These thief's work as teams for the most part, and are very good at their trade. Believe it or not once they enter your property they will have your tractor moved and loaded in less then 10 minutes or less, usually less.

Remember, if you are selling a tractor, by all means be on your toes, this is when you are most vulnerable. Also the guy who looked at your tractor that morning could be the same guy stealing your tractor that night.

The best deterrent we have found is a free roaming dog who barks, thief's
hate dogs and will usually pass when one is on the job.

The main point is to use common sense, the more difficult you make it for the thief,the more likely he will pass .

This Information I have given, comes from many years of experience dealing with scum bag thief's, I am retired law enforcement and have heard from the mouths of these thief's the things I told you.

Besides the DOG I recommend the front tire be removed if you are not going to be home for an extended time . The hidden kill switch will thwart amateurs
but as I pointed out not a well set up ring working a area .

If you don't have a barn or shed, keep your tractor where you can see it from
the house, preferably under or near a pole light in the open , thief's don't like stealing in the open. If you have a set up where the tractor can be blocked in
by another vehicle all the better.

Again these tips come straight from the mouths if the thief's who are part of a well run ring.

/ Securing your tractor #15  
Hopefully my Kubota insurance is good.

/ Securing your tractor #16  
foggy...looks like your tractor has an FEL ...so that would mean that you taking the front wheel off would not deter the theft..they would simply lower the FEL and back it on the trailer..

Yeah.....maybe so. But the crook would have to be a pretty fair operator to get my tractor turned around in the snow and load it with a wheel / tire missing. And if my snow blade is on.....they would not stand a chance. I know I would have a heckofa time getting it done....without getting hurt. :laughing:

/ Securing your tractor #17  
I'm a mile off the highway - gravel drive through the woods. Thieves would have a heck of a time finding me, and three dogs and my shotgun to deal with if they're that persistent.

I am vulnerable next to the highway, though. Once had a nice tube metal gate there, with hardened steel chains through it around the post - which was sunk in concrete. Thieves swiped it Dec. 22 a year ago. Cut through the chain with a battery tool. I guess somebody wanted it for a gift or something. Future gates will be cheap wood worth nothing.

/ Securing your tractor #18  
To deter thieves in my opinion and location a dog and a shotgun and a reputation for being nasty works best.
The thieves don't know if you are going to use the shotgun or even if you have one.

/ Securing your tractor #19  
Before anybody gets overly confident in the protection provided by a lock and chain, my Dewalt 18V portable cutoff wheel will go through a chain or lock in less than a minute. Lighter chain and locks take less than 20 seconds.
Exactly. Not much short of someone standing guard will stop a thief with a 18v cutoff saw or a portable torch and a rollback or a trailer with a winch.
Parking in a container? 18v cutoff saw or a portable torch
Chain/Cable to secure it? 18v cutoff saw or a portable torch

I don't have first-hand knowledge but it seems to me that the methods that delay the thief are best. Hidden kill switches, battery removed, front wheel removed, park it in behind something else. They all will delay the scumbag longer than a lock and chain will.
Switch on the starter wire? Screwdriver
Battery Cutoff? Jumper Cables
Missing tire? Wooden wedge in the front axle pivot
Loader down? Ratchet strap or come-along to lift it up and off you go

Make it hard enough to steal and they will punch a hole in your fuel tank to drain the diesel (makes sense to ruin a $200 fuel tank to steal $30 in fuel doesn't it?)

Observant neighbours work well - this I know for a fact.
The only good protection is vigilance and insurance.

Aaron Z

/ Securing your tractor #20  
Have to second duke's suggestion of a dog. We have a dog and have not been robbed in 15 years, despite having the nicest looking house in the area. Other houses in the area have been robbed. 2 houses up it doesn't hurt that our neighbor is the sheriff of the county, and of course once he got a few threats he got himself a dog. Of course a dog is a major investment in your time and energy and should not be taken lightly, but they can be very usefull.

Larry

Whiskywiz.

I have to agree a lock and chain to a determined thief is nothing,
Remember, most all thief's want things as quite as possible while, them scum
steal your property.

Also remember tractors are valuable and very easy to sell, so the thief will do his homework in certain areas he chooses. They read the for sale section and target those tractors, and scout out the area. They usually strike between the early morning hours between 2am and 3am, these times are when most people are in deep sleep.
The thief's will always try to move the tractor with out starting it, to get it as far from the residence as possible where they load it in a closed van ect.

These thief's work as teams for the most part, and are very good at their trade. Believe it or not once they enter your property they will have your tractor moved and loaded in less then 10 minutes or less, usually less.

Remember, if you are selling a tractor, by all means be on your toes, this is when you are most vulnerable. Also the guy who looked at your tractor that morning could be the same guy stealing your tractor that night.

The best deterrent we have found is a free roaming dog who barks, thief's
hate dogs and will usually pass when one is on the job.

The main point is to use common sense, the more difficult you make it for the thief,the more likely he will pass .

This Information I have given, comes from many years of experience dealing with scum bag thief's, I am retired law enforcement and have heard from the mouths of these thief's the things I told you.

Besides the DOG I recommend the front tire be removed if you are not going to be home for an extended time . The hidden kill switch will thwart amateurs
but as I pointed out not a well set up ring working a area .

If you don't have a barn or shed, keep your tractor where you can see it from
the house, preferably under or near a pole light in the open , thief's don't like stealing in the open. If you have a set up where the tractor can be blocked in
by another vehicle all the better.

Again these tips come straight from the mouths if the thief's who are part of a well run ring.