Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200

Default Securing your tractor

Hey All,

Just wondering for those of you that don't have garages or locked buildings to keep your tractors in.... how do you lock them / secure them?

I realize that tractors can be a bit difficult to steal from around your property, but I have also noticed that some tractors seem to have a "universal" key.
    Kubota B3200HSDC
    LA504 Loader / ATI QA 42" Palette Forks / LP RCR1860 BrushHog / LP RB1572 RearBlade

Silver Member Little Red Tractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 6284

Default Re: Securing your tractor

If you're going to be away for long periods, or if the tractor won't be used for a long time, removing the battery would be a good deterrent, though a real pain in the neck on some tractors.
    A stout chain locked around a secure item like a light pole or something similar could be another option.
    Blocking it in with other vehicles/equipment if it's available is also a good choice.

Tractor
    JD 955/70A/7 TLB

A hidden kill switch is another good deterent. Also, replacing key fuses with a blown fuse (so it looks like all fuses are present) is another good one. The more time it takes a theif to jack around with something, the more likely they are to give up on it and move on.

Tractor
    jd 445, kubota bx1500,wheel horse c-160, wheel horse h-520

One thing we do if we have to leave equipment on a job over night is get a heavy duty bike lock and put it threw a slot in the rim and wrap it around the frame making it impossible for the wheels to even turn

Tractor
    JD 3320 eHydro w/ 300CX Loader

I've considered taking the front wheel / tire off my tractor when I store it for the winter. Take the wheel to a different location. It would be hard to move or load the tractor without the wheel.
    3320 eHydro, 300CX Loader & 15 + great attachments

You gotta mine allot of dirt to find a diamond.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

My tractor is either in the garage or in the back yard, and either way I don't ever take the key out. Weird I guess, someday it may come to bite me in the butt. There is almost always someone home and you can definitely hear the tractor, and it's not like they are going to make a fast get-away. I have been thinking about changing my ways a little lately though especially after reading some of the stories on here.

come to think of it, the keys are in my truck most of the time as well. hmm...

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 3130

I lived here for two years before I made a door for the barn walk in. Started hearing of some minor things coming up missing. that's when I built the door. Jusy lucky I guess before that.

Tractor
    Ford 4500 TLB, Kubota L2900GST

In the days when the JEEP was still the Army vehicle of choice, it didn't even have a key. To disable it, one just took the rotor out of the distributor.
    Of course, anyone who needed a ride, also had a rotor in their pocket. . .

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by foggy1111 View Post
    I've considered taking the front wheel / tire off my tractor when I store it for the winter. Take the wheel to a different location. It would be hard to move or load the tractor without the wheel.
    foggy...looks like your tractor has an FEL ...so that would mean that you taking the front wheel off would not deter the theft..they would simply lower the FEL and back it on the trailer..
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    KIOTI CK20S HST

Before anybody gets overly confident in the protection provided by a lock and chain, my Dewalt 18V portable cutoff wheel will go through a chain or lock in less than a minute. Lighter chain and locks take less than 20 seconds.

I don't have first-hand knowledge but it seems to me that the methods that delay the thief are best. Hidden kill switches, battery removed, front wheel removed, park it in behind something else. They all will delay the scumbag longer than a lock and chain will.

Observant neighbours work well - this I know for a fact.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast