Old Iron

/ Old Iron #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
I could have mortgaged the house and bought me one of those shiney new tractors with all the new fangled fancy gadgets, gizmos and plastic everywhere, but I saved my hard-earned money and bought a 46 year old tractor that is dented, faded, rusted, and in bad need of some serious TLC.

Do I regret my decision? Well, let me put it this way... Can elephants fly?

/ Old Iron #2  
Can't agree more. I just bought a 62 year old 8n. And I love it. Nothing like stuff made of real metal.

/ Old Iron #3  
I'm with you on that one..!!

/ Old Iron #4  
What, no pics?

/ Old Iron #5  
massey while I in no way begrudge your decision to buy old... I find your comments to be less than positive about those that decided we are in the right place in our lives to buy what we wanted, no matter what it is. I hope your old tractor serves you well and gives you good service.

17 yrs ago I bought a 8n, then a to-35 then a mf 35 and worked the snot out them and myself building my property to what it is today. Lots of work some repairs along the way but I got it done with the old iron just as well if not better than the guy down the road with a new (then) JD 855 he is gone now and so is the tractor but I'm still here

I hope I bought a new tractor that will give me similar service that your MF 135 has given its various owners over the years and my old MF 35 has given me for the last 15 yrs....Do I regret making that payment now nope, I can afford it and didnt mortage the house for it. And someone a long time ago bought your MF 135 new now didnt they?

/ Old Iron #6  
Nothing wrong with old iron. But there is nothing wrong with new iron either. To each his own.

Tractors have evolved just like everything else. Todays tractors are more ergonomic, more productive, and more efficient. I wont say they are better 100% across the board, but if today's tractors WEREN'T better, we'd still be seeing tractors built like 60 years ago wouldnt we.:D

And "real" metal????? How is 60 year old cast iron any different than new cast iron???

Again, nothing wrong with old iron. It is very affordable and does what one needs. But can you honestly say....that if money were NO object....that if someone could get ANY tractor he/she wanted....that they would choose a 60 year old machine over a new one????

/ Old Iron
Nothing wrong with old iron. But there is nothing wrong with new iron either. To each his own.

I wasn't trying to imply that there was anything wrong with buying a new tractor, or that one was better than the other. It's one of the reasons I didn't state brand names or "colors". This thread was mostly created with humor in mind, although my sense of humor doesn't always translate very well.

Regardless, buying old iron has one benefit that, at least to me, is equally valuable to any work the tractor (new or old) may perform. I get to take a piece of vintage (or near vintage) machinery, and gradually restore it back to it's former glory, one step at a time. Fix this, straighten that, etc...

/ Old Iron #8  
Exactly, what fun would it be to work your tractor all the time and never get to tinker. If I had a new tractor all my tools would get rusty from sitting around. Lmao. Don't take life to serious, it's a nice day, I'm going to go play with my toys hope you all can too.

/ Old Iron #9  
MasseyWV said:
I could have mortgaged the house and bought me one of those shiney new tractors with all the new fangled fancy gadgets, gizmos and plastic everywhere, but I saved my hard-earned money and bought a 46 year old tractor that is dented, faded, rusted, and in bad need of some serious TLC.

Do I regret my decision? Well, let me put it this way... Can elephants fly?

Do we get pics?