HELP can I adapt a 5hp log splitter to run off tractor?

/ HELP can I adapt a 5hp log splitter to run off tractor? #1  

joulian

Hey guys I found a log splitter that the 5hp briggs is shot on. Its a little old as I can see can I adapt the hydraulics to the tractor?

I had intended to actually take whats there and fab it where i could mount it on the 3 point. The tires are dry rotten... no point in going back with new ones if tractor will carry.

I have a Kubota 27hp with an 3rd function aux.

WIll be getting a 50hp Kioti soon. It has a lever for the 3rd function as well.

/ HELP can I adapt a 5hp log splitter to run off tractor? #2  
Depends on your valves and cylinders do you the size. I'd also have to wonder about the frame construction, a picture would be worth a lot.

/ HELP can I adapt a 5hp log splitter to run off tractor? #4  
the simplest verison

plumb the 2 ports of the cylinder directly to the back of the rear remotes. you have to use the level on the tractor to run the splitter, but this is the easiest.

next is to plumb the spool on the splitter to the rear remotes, but then you have to tie your remote on to use the splitter spool.

After that its just a matter of fabing up some sort of 3pt hookup.

Either way id go tractor hydraulics before i bolted another engine on it. Your likely to get more flow rate out of your tractor which will mean quicker cycle times. (pressure should be roughly the same)

/ HELP can I adapt a 5hp log splitter to run off tractor? #5  
If you didn't have rear remotes, you could also connect the pump to the PTO using a gear box. Hmmm. Probably not the best idea, but it could be done.

I have a hydraulic pump connected to my PTO to run my backhoe and it does pretty good. Was much cheaper than getting the tractor plumbed for rear remotes.

/ HELP can I adapt a 5hp log splitter to run off tractor?
I am trying to eliminate motors that sit around till I have time to fix them, so i can get what I really wanted to get done, done ( in regards to 6.5hp hbf engine.)

/ HELP can I adapt a 5hp log splitter to run off tractor? #7  
The usual warning is to flush the old *** fluid out of piston and lines before it contaminates your tractor sump.
Jim

/ HELP can I adapt a 5hp log splitter to run off tractor? #8  
My 3-point splitter uses a 4" cylinder and I run it off of my 20 hp tractor's hydraulic aux.
Not the fastest but gets the job done.
Were it a 3" cylinder i think the speed would be just perfect.
At one end of my "I" beam I have a rod welded to fit the 3 point arms as well as a pair of 1/2" x 2" flats vertically to fit my upper 3-point link.
The whole thing sticks out the length of "I' beam. (about 5ft +/-)
No problem! but drive slow as the front is a bit light.
A nice benefit is that I drive forwards when the split wood pile gets cumbersome, also I can adjust the splitter height via the 3-point.
Plenty of power. (actually can cut 3-4" maple to length)
Install/removal is a snap, back up, align the 3-point and pin it on, drive off to the wood pile and split away.
Beats swinging an axe/maul.

/ HELP can I adapt a 5hp log splitter to run off tractor? #9  
I noticed someone said tractor splitter is better then bolting up a new engine. I have to disagree with this, it'd be a personal opinion. IMO a seperate splitter is much more convenient and keeps the tractor free for other operations during the wood cutting process. I thought about going with a 3pt splitter, I used one for years, sure glad I didn't go that route though.

/ HELP can I adapt a 5hp log splitter to run off tractor? #10  
Another vote for the separate engine.

The splitter probabally has a 2-stage pump being driven by the 5HP.

Your tractor will make it slower. The 50HP DK you are planning on getting will probabally flow enough to make it just as fast, But why run a 50HP engine when a 5HP $100 motor will work???

You cant drive the pump off your PTO without gearing it up. PTO's are only 540 RPM. Those pumps are designed to run ~3500rpm.

Stand-alone is the way to go IMO. Just keep some stabil or something in the gas if you leave it sit and you will be fine.:thumbsup: