Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires)

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #1  

tony123

Platinum Member
Tractor
YMG2000D
I thought I understood how to adjust the sway out of the lift arms, but can't seem to get it this time...

I've always had a little slop. Most impliments can sway about an inch with my current adjustment. However, I just picked up a dirt scoop and it had about 5-6 inches of sway. So much, that the lift arms would rub my tires every time I wasn't level.

So, I took the scoop off and had to take the turnbuckles clean off the tractor and into the vice. After wrestling those darn things for 20 minutes, I got them to bust loose and was able to pull about an inch of length out of each side. I thought this would help with the sway, but it didn't. :confused: Seems like I got just as much now as I did before. The turnbuckles don't have anymore adjustment to take out.

I'm going to take a few photos and post in a minute. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Tony

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires)
Here are the photos.

Attachments

• image-1945087461.jpg
    image-1945087461.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 413
  • image-153746691.jpg
    image-153746691.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 385
  • image-2030698479.jpg
    image-2030698479.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 348
   / Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #3  
Scoop might be homemade, wider than what will fit on your tractor???

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #4  
Looks like a CAT 2 scoop with the pins turned in for CAT 1 tractor. But still wider than a CAT 1 implement.

Bruce

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #5  
How about using check chains to limit lateral movement?

It's a king cutter 30" model. Website says its cat1.

It fits with as much space as anything else I hook to. When I run on a cross slope, it just swings all the way out to the tires. Tell you the truth, these aggressive rice tires could use a little wear. :)

I don't know what these chains are? I'll search a bit.

Okay, I found out what they are. That's what I tightened all the way. Mine are about 8" long on the shortest. I wonder if I need shorter ones for this implement?

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #8  
Measure outside to outside of the linch pins. CAT 1 width should be about 26-27 inches.

Bruce

With the scoop mounted, it positions the lift arms at 30" wide. So it appears wider. When I purchased, I took TSC's word that it was a CAT1 implement.

Seems like everything fits fine though...it's the amount of sway that causes the problem. I'm going to work at a temporary shortening of those check chains and see what I come up with.

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #10  
My yanmar has the same system but I have never had problem of not being able to shorten enough to keep them off the tires at least when I am hooked up to something. Other than getting shorter turnbuckes, there isnt much you can do. Try Howe tractor and see if they have some turnbuckes that you can order that are shorter and just swap them out. If you shorten them, they may not allow for the arms to come in far enough to fit on the narrower implements. It would be nice if they had someplace to fasten toward the middle of the tractor rather than the outside axles. You might could rig up something to hitch them onto your drawbar and turn them to the inside, that way they would each be limiting themselves rather than the opposite side. With that type you have to tie them together to keep from hitting your tires when you dont have an implement on the back.