Tires Loading the tires with sealant

/ Loading the tires with sealant #1  

icat

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST
Just spoke to the dealer about having the R4's on my new Kubota L3130 loaded with sealant. He has two different places that he can have this done. The first says it will take 5 gallons of sealant and they want $160. The second says it will take 10 gallons and they want $230. Anybody had this done? If so, do you recall how many gallons it took?

/ Loading the tires with sealant #2  
What brand of sealant?

/ Loading the tires with sealant
No idea. However, I'm sure that's a question I should have asked.

But back to the issue - I'm more interested in the ability of 5 gallons to provide coverage for R4 tires. Seems to me that 5 gallons is a lot. If I compare the sealant volume to a 5 gallon bucket of paint, then it seems that 5 gallons would be enough. Shoot, I think I could paint the whole tractor with 5 gallons of paint. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Just unsure as to why there is such a difference in the two quotes. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Loading the tires with sealant #4  
If you go to TSC (if you have one) you can look at a bottle of Slime and see what they recommend for different tire sizes. Unless you're driving one of those mobile missle launchers, I would think 10 gal is too much.

/ Loading the tires with sealant #5  
I'm with 19th VA. A quart of slime would be more than enough for each tire and would cost a lot less. It works really well. I always put it in my front tires.

Went ahead and did a search (probably should have started there). Anyway, found an old post where a TBN'er bought 3 gallons and did his tractor, his lawnmower, his ATV, his...
You get the picture. I think I'll save some dough this time and opt for the 5 gallons. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Loading the tires with sealant #7  
Were they talking about loading the tires with sealant or just sealing the tires with sealant. I had thought of filling my tires with sealant for ballast and sealant functions. Anyone tried this.

/ Loading the tires with sealant #8  
<font color="blue">...thought of filling my tires with sealant for ballast and sealant functions... </font>

Between $20-30. a gallon... times so many gallons... Yiks! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I believe foam filled would be more cost effective... (and that's expensive!)

Slowrev,
The "tire guys" will place the sealant inside the tire. It's not intended for ballast - too expensive for that. The sealant that I'm aware of is a sticky semi liquid goo that will seal a thorn puncture as it occurs. Use to use the stuff on motorcycles all the time. Works great. Just never had to buy 5 gallons of it! Yikes! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Loading the tires with sealant #10  
that is what I thought, but it would be nice if not for the cost to just load the tires with the stuff, no rust/freeze or leaks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif