Oil filter price

/ Oil filter price #1  

retiredmgn

Platinum Member
I picked up a new oil filter for my JD 3038. $13.59. Is this what other people pay? Seems rather pricey.

/ Oil filter price #2  
Dealership don't give those OEM filters away. If you're comfortable with Wix/NAPA or Hastings, both GREAT filters, you'll save a few bucks, but not exactly enough to fund the IRA. :D

This gets beat up, as a topic here, quite a lot. Bottom line is that quality filters aren't cheap. For some folks, there's nothing like an OEM. For others, the few bucks they save over at Wix is meaningful. This discussion will never really end.

/ Oil filter price #4  
Dealership don't give those OEM filters away. If you're comfortable with Wix/NAPA or Hastings, both GREAT filters, you'll save a few bucks, but not exactly enough to fund the IRA. :D

This gets beat up, as a topic here, quite a lot. Bottom line is that quality filters aren't cheap. For some folks, there's nothing like an OEM. For others, the few bucks they save over at Wix is meaningful. This discussion will never really end.

Yeah! I have used NAPA exclusivly for over 40 years. Ask for their discount, whichever applies: ie, farm/ranch, fleet, or military. My dealer checks all three and gives me the best one for that product. Filters are almos half of the manufacturer branded ones, ditto on other products, but discount varies by product including tools and equipment.

Ron

/ Oil filter price #5  
I know were talking engine oil filters. But thought I'd this even though it's hydraulic filters. But they are oil filters. lol

I thought $12.99 was high for my hydraulic return filter that I use on my home made excavator. Lenz Hydraulic Filter Element - 1822617 | Tractor Supply Company

Now check out the price on the bad boy mower hydraulic filter. Bad Boy ZT Hydraulic Filter - 1000767 | Tractor Supply Company

$34.99 for a oil filter. Wow. I know it's for hydraulics but Jeeze does it really need to be that expensive? XD

The Fram oil filter for my truck is only about $5.00

Chad

/ Oil filter price #6  
Why does it cost that much, basically because they CAN. BUT Think about the number of filters that they sell for hydraulic filters for a specific application vs oil and air filter for a Chevy Malibu for example. Hundreds versus hundreds of thousands. Everyone knows that as for unit cost, you can make a hundred thousand widgets cheaper than you can tool up and make 10 or 1000. The set up cost is the same for making one as it is for 1 million and only material cost is added. When the filter maker has to interrupt his line to make the identical filter for John Deere and paint it green or yellow or whatever and put their product code etc on it, they are going to charge them for that which in turn they charge you. NOW that same filter may have been made in the same factor that makes Wix or some other brand on the same line with the same materials, so finding that other brand name identical filter without the deere on it is going to save you some money everytime.

/ Oil filter price #7  
G'day compared to over here that is cheap some of the OEM filters we sell here can be $40-50 for eng oil air filters up to $120 and have seen some hyd filters into the $200 bracket.
We are also a Baldwin agent and whilst alot cheaper than OEM can still run into the $100+ area

With the way the exchange rate is at the moment things should be getting cheaper but funnily enough there is always something else getting dearer to swallow up the difference;)

Jon

/ Oil filter price #8  
retiredman,
Are you talking an engine oil filter?
JD Parts shows 3038 engine oil filter p/n M806419, list price: $8.25.

/ Oil filter price #9  
Yep some of our oil filters for equipment are touching $100 bucks and the fuel is worse yet. But some of that you can thank the government and the clean air people for.