3-Point Hitch HELP Please!!

/ HELP Please!! #1  

Cind747

Tractor
Kubota L245DT
We have a Kubota L245DT and purchased a post knocker for it. when trying to get it set up today we discovered that we could not stop the 3PT from raising and so it would throw the post knocker into the cab before lifting the wieght on the post knocker.

Can anyone please tell me how to stop the 3Pt from raising? our model only has 1 lever and it works by lifting the 3PT before transfering the power to the hydraulics of the attachment. we only have 1 more day off work and an arranged baby sitter so time is critical!

Thanks in advance!!

Cindy

/ HELP Please!! #2  
Cindy,

We need a few more details of how things are hooked up. What model of post driver do you have? Is the post driver hooked to a power beyond loop? I am unfamiliar with a set up that would function like you describe using 1 lever to operate 2 devices, the 3 pt hitch then the post driver after the limit of the 3 pt hitch is reached. Pictures would be good also of the actual hook up.

Todd

/ HELP Please!! #3  
Im not familar with your tractor but if there is a knob under the seat that controls thr speed of 3-pt drop...once you lower to the post then close the knob to lock out the float. Hope this helps

/ HELP Please!! #4  
Cindy,

You cant run two devices off the 3PTH control you need to have a separate line and valve for the knocker from the 3PTH. Also your 3PTH is a 'lift only" there is not down pressure - just he weight of the attachment.

This is a 1980s tractor - is this new to you? Does it have a loader? What have you done with it so far? Plowed? Cut Grass? How many hours are on it? The L245DT is a strong tractor - I had a L185DT with loader and backhoe.

Do you have a loader on the L245DT? If so, you probably have a tank on the right side and that is connected to a hydraulic pump on the front of the engine. You can plumb the hydraulic lines from the loader to the post driver as a separate circuit and that should work fine.

If you dont have a front end loader (FEL) or pump, then you need to tee off the 3PTH line and put in a valve for the post pounder separate from the 3PTH lift. There should be a steel block with lines coming in and out on the rear transmission near the 3PTH if I recall correctly. You need to tap into the pressure side of the 3PTH line with valves to run the pounder separately from the 3PTH.

At the end of the day, I think you will need to get a babysitter next weekend instead!

/ HELP Please!! #5  
The 3pt will only raise if you allow fluid to enter the cyl.

How did you connect the post knocker to the tractor.

Do you only have a pump and 3pt hyd system?

Does the post knocker have a PB outlet?

It sounds like you cut into the pressure line from the pump, to the post knocker and then the return from the post knocker connected to the 3pt.

If the 3pt lever is up, and you activate the post knocker, the fluid from the cyl would go to the 3pt and the 3pt would raise.

The 3pt lever should be in neutral.

With all levers in neutral, this may be what you have, pump flow to post knocker, from tank port on post knocker to 3pt, to tank.

Consider this, if you use the 3pt you will pressurize the total hyd circuit, and it usually causes problems up stream.

Do you have two or three hoses on the post knocker? pressure hose, PB hose, tank hose?

If you had a selector like this you could select post knocker, or 3pt.

This valve would switch the fluid to either unit.

Surplus Center - 1/2" NPT 20 GPM PRINCE SELECTOR VALVE

/ HELP Please!!
Hi All,

Many thanks for your answers and questions. I managed to get this resolved today with a great deal of time and brute force due to parts being sized with rust!

the problem was the 3 point linkage was raising too far and the only adjustment I could find was the "position control feedback rod" I followed the instructions in the manual but if I adjusted this fully up or fully down it had the same result and the 3 point linkage arms were raising too far. the only thing I could see to stop this was to totally dismantle the arms and rebuild them with the arms in a lower position. These were basically two link arms that went through the hydrolic control unit on cogs.

It worked by moving these to a lower position, when we raised the lever for the 3pt then it would stop sooner holding the post knocker level, we then locked this off at the correct position using the knob under the seat. by raising the lever a bit further it then transfers the hydraulic fluid to the weight on the post knocker raising it and lowering it without it lifting the 3pt each time.

the post knocker has its own hydraulic connection, its the same we used to attach a tipping trailer but we sold that as it was too big for our poor little tractor being 6 ton!

shame it took 9 hours to take it apart put it back together and work it out but we got there!

I think the previous owners must have done a few adjustments to it before to make it go very high.

Ok as to what I use it for... basically just to fertilise my fields with a spreader, I sometimes harrow but its not the fastest or strongest of machines so I tend to use my Honda Mule for that instead now. We have a loader on the front also and we have used this in the past for moving dung heaps and carrying the fertiliser but to be honest they are limited unless you have a 2in1 bucket I think... I dont have any other implements for it unfortunately although I would REALLY like to buy the kit for making and balling hay, but it the best part of 10K and I cant afford anything like that.

I run a small Horse Livery yard and it doesnt really make a profit enough to pay for such implements.

Thanks again everyone! if you know anyone who is looking to sell items for one of these in Hampshire UK then please let me know:)

cindy

/ HELP Please!! #7  
Cindy.

Thanks for the update - you seem to have a very good grasp on things with tractors!

I think the L245 will run a hay baler - a small one - 25-30 kg bale size.

Thanks again for replyig and glad your pounder is better niow.

Carl