Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 2520

Default Re: Deep Water Crossings

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It'd be nice to compare wives' reactions to us hopping up form the PC, stomping outside with a flashlight, then back in, then out, then back in again (forgot to check truck the first time). She held off pretty well the first trip, and was making a good effort the second time, there, for a while. )</font>

I get that too. All of of sudden I jump up, grab the camera, and run out to the barn to return with a photo that needs posted right away. My wife is used to it and doesn't even ask anymore.

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

Pull your fill plug and stick your finger in, if the fluid is milky white, it is contaminated with water. The water in the oil causes the oil to loose it's shock and lubricating properties. Same way with your 4 wheeler. If you look in the manual, it will tell you to drain the diff and repack the hubs (4x4) if you submerge them. Same applies to the tractor. I've slogged in the mud over the front tires, but I'd never think of putting the axle under water.

Water in the wheel bearings can also be an issue, if you do this often you might want to inspect the bearings often too.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 4710/reverser, JD 318 (still needs TLC), JD LT160

My Jeep has extended vent tubes (run up to the beltline) and all Jeeps are supposedly "rated" for some pretty deep water (30"?) but even there the manuals state that the axles must be flushed and filled with new fluid after a dunk.

Sounds like the only safe bet is to keep the actual axles out of the drink.

Tractor
    1979 Ford 1700

Gary - forgot to comment on your beautiful picture last night with all the running around. Looks real nice, say hi to the missus for us.

That ground up high in the background is what we call a good garden spot up here - nice n' dry.

I think you're going to need to expand your shed though, to get the BX in.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do most differentials have those vents? )</font>

Yes, most, if not all, do. I have a cousin who has a 28' pontoon barge and used to do a lot of fishing, pulled the barge with his '83 Ford pickup. The vent had a flexible tube running from the top of the differential housing up above the gas tank. That pretty well keeps water out of the differential when you get it submerged. I think most vehicles are rigged similarly. Cousin's problem was that he didn't notice that the vent tube had broken off at the differential until it was too late. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] So, he bought a complete rear end assembly from a salvage yard. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    BX22

We have the ranch rented to a cattleman. It is our place to get away for a picnic and a quiet walk.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    BX22

Whenever it rains and you go through deep water it would be a good I dea to inspect wheel bearings etc. Never thought of it. Glad it was brought to our attention... TBN comes through again...

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

Gary -- I grew up in La Jolla about a block from Wind n Sea beach. My parents sold out when I was in my early teens and we moved to University City. I can remember riding my little Yamaha from there all the way to Escondido! No houses, just plenty of cattle and mostly brown grass. By the time I left the service and began teaching at San Diego State it was wall to wall houses from San Diego to Santa Barbara! But the east county still had some nice places. Glad to see some still remain. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Pete

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    L3410

I've had water up to (well, over) the front axle on my 3410, and like most other posts - it wasn't done on purpose. Anyhow, no water got into anything I could detect (front axle lube, etc.), so I expect getting water up to the undersurface of the front axle is not a big deal. The kubota manual lists a split plug under the clutch assembly, and admonishes one to check it for water after operating in rain, snow or after a tractor washing. I've only checked it once (besides the axle dunking incident), after a few days of heavy rain (and the tractor was outside) - no water. Has anyone found water under that plug, and if so what were the circumstances?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast