Best way to spread 40 yards of top soil w/TLB

/ Best way to spread 40 yards of top soil w/TLB #1  

Roxburyeric

Tractor
2011 Kioti CK20S HST TLB, JD 1939 Model L, Cub Cadet 2135 Lawn Mower
I am in the process of adding topsoil to my yard and had 40 yards delivered today (More to come). I am adding a couple inches+/- over my exisiting grass. Typical yard without enough good topsoil and poor growing grass. I have a Kioti CK20s HST with FEL and backhoe. No other attachements. I spread some already from a previous load by placing a bucket load where I want then spreading it with the loader or dumped and spread at the same time and then used the FEL to smooth it out more if needed. I realize there is an art to the dump and spread at the same time and I am learning. Am I doing this the easiest way possible (without buying a new attachment)? Suggestions are welcomed to this new TLB user.

Thanks Eric

/ Best way to spread 40 yards of top soil w/TLB #2  
Without acquiring a drag behind attachment like a York rake or a box blade that would allow you to spread the dirt while continuously driving forward you have to keep doing it like you have been. Drop a bucketful and back drag it flat repeat until you get it all out there. Then you can probably make some long back drag runs to smooth a larger area.

/ Best way to spread 40 yards of top soil w/TLB #4  
dozer

/ Best way to spread 40 yards of top soil w/TLB #5  
I am in the process of adding topsoil to my yard and had 40 yards delivered today (More to come). I am adding a couple inches+/- over my exisiting grass. Typical yard without enough good topsoil and poor growing grass. I have a Kioti CK20s HST with FEL and backhoe. No other attachements. I spread some already from a previous load by placing a bucket load where I want then spreading it with the loader or dumped and spread at the same time and then used the FEL to smooth it out more if needed. I realize there is an art to the dump and spread at the same time and I am learning. Am I doing this the easiest way possible (without buying a new attachment)? Suggestions are welcomed to this new TLB user.

Thanks Eric

I've spread several hundred yards of loam with just my bucket (before I got a rake). You want to spread it out into as many little piles as you can first. Eyeball how much dirt will cover a given area, then put a pile that is that much dirt per each section. You can try to spread it directly off of the pile, but you will instantly lose reference for depth - makes it much harder.

THEN - backdrag the dirt using the back of the bucket as a blade. The bottom of the bucket will set the grade - cutting edge will act sort of like gauge wheels - and the back will push and spread the dirt like a dozer blade. Slight adjustments in the bucket angle will vary the amount of dirt driven under the bucket (adding height), or shaved off by the back of the bucket (reducing height). It does take a bit of an elegant touch on the curl control, but you can end up with a perfect result.

I still rough spread using my bucket and the technique above, but usually do final grading and polishing with a landscape rake and gauge wheels.

JayC

/ Best way to spread 40 yards of top soil w/TLB #6  
How big is your yard? I have the same situation with my lawn. Terrible fill dirt from a lazy excavating company who did not preserve my topsoil. I had considered bringing in topsoil but how much do you need and will that actually work? I have 1/2 acre.

/ Best way to spread 40 yards of top soil w/TLB #7  
I've spread several hundred yards of loam with just my bucket (before I got a rake). You want to spread it out into as many little piles as you can first. Eyeball how much dirt will cover a given area, then put a pile that is that much dirt per each section. You can try to spread it directly off of the pile, but you will instantly lose reference for depth - makes it much harder.

THEN - backdrag the dirt using the back of the bucket as a blade. The bottom of the bucket will set the grade - cutting edge will act sort of like gauge wheels - and the back will push and spread the dirt like a dozer blade. Slight adjustments in the bucket angle will vary the amount of dirt driven under the bucket (adding height), or shaved off by the back of the bucket (reducing height). It does take a bit of an elegant touch on the curl control, but you can end up with a perfect result.

I still rough spread using my bucket and the technique above, but usually do final grading and polishing with a landscape rake and gauge wheels.

JayC

I do it about the same way as Jay does.

I use the fel to distribute the dirt as evenly as I can without spending too much time then use the rear of the bucket to smooth it out. Works pretty good but it does take lots of seat time to do a good job.

For existing lawns I would put a thin layer about 1/2" per year to prevent killing the grass.

/ Best way to spread 40 yards of top soil w/TLB #8  
You really don't want to pack it down just smooth it out, what you are going to need to do is hold your bucket up and tilt down on an angle. Grade the soil pulling it with the bucket while you are going backward! It may take a little bit to get the feel of it, but it will work. Just hold your bucket up at the hieght you want your depth to be and easy through the task. Becareful to keep watch behind you so you don't run into anything. I run a large earth mover loader and this method does work, just don't get in a hurry.

/ Best way to spread 40 yards of top soil w/TLB #9  
Another way is to get a FEL bucket full and dump it at the start of your area and reach over the pile you just dumped and backdrag it to your prefered grade. Basically finish grade that FEL bucket load of soil first, then pick up another and do the same matching and finish grading it. That way you will be able to easily keep on eye on how thick and consitant you are placing it as you go. It also reduces driving over it and compacting it so hard you can't hardly work it. I know it seems to be a very slow process but it really does go fairly quick.

/ Best way to spread 40 yards of top soil w/TLB
Thanks for the advice. I have a good 1/2 acre to do, all on a little slope. I will probably need another 40 yards to finish the job. I am looking to get the job done in one year so adding a little each year (while it might work) is not a job I really want to keep doing and my current grass in not really worth saving. I used the techniques you have all described with some success, but I can tell that is really takes the right touch. Sometimes I get it and sometime I don't. I guess that is why I can't quit my day job. Thanks