Brake controllers for trailers

/ Brake controllers for trailers
Thanks for the quick replys. I can hopefully get it hooked up in the next few days. My trailer is waiting at the dealer. I went to look at it today and it is very nice. An 18' Worthington aluminum utility trailer with 7000 lbs. capacity. I'll post pictures as soon as I pick it up with my tractor on it. Any recommendations on the type (strength) of chains to tie down my L3430?

Haz

/ Brake controllers for trailers #12  
When I first bought a 25' camping trailer I had a cheaper brake actuator installed, it was about $50 and worked off a time delay. I hated it, the trailer would never stop properly. I finally broke down and bought a Prodigy, they run about $129 and they work off the braking inertia of your truck. It takes a few minutes to hook up and a few more to set it up and you will not be sorry. My trailer weighs over 5600 lbs.

/ Brake controllers for trailers #13  
I use a Tekonsha Prodigy and would not trade it for any other controller. It is very easy to install if wires are already in place. but it is not that hard to run the extra wires, just make sure you use the right gauge wire for brake as it is heavier than the wires used for lights.

/ Brake controllers for trailers #14  
Another vote for the Prodigy. I tow everyday with a Ford diesel dually and a triple axle gooseneck. Most other controllers are just timers, the Prodigy works much better as Gary indicated above.

/ Brake controllers for trailers #15  
I bought 4 of the KELSEY controllers for different vehicles and it has a pendalum (sp?) inside and u have to set it for controller angle.
They work really well and run $50 at local Amish trailer sales.
The new GM trucks and SUVs (including H2) all use the same trailer brake set-up.
When I get new vehicle I just unplug and move to the next ( couple minute job).
I kept a couple of the wiring harnesses and also the 7 to 4 adapters that the 02s had.
The dash already has the holes to mount the brake controller to the right of steering column.

/ Brake controllers for trailers #16  
When I did the research on brake controllers I went to several RV forums. What I read over and over was that the Tekonsha prodigy and the Jordan 2020 were the choices of the people who were serious about pulling big RV's. The prodigy is easier to hook up and cost less. I pull tractors on my 20' gooseneck with this controller and it works great. Spend a little more and get the best. $125 at several places on the web including shipping.
Eric

/ Brake controllers for trailers #17  
<font color="blue"> They give it to for free, but it's no longer in the glove box </font>

My 2500HD Chev was bought in Feb '03. I had to pay for the harness in the Parts Dept!!

OkieG

/ Brake controllers for trailers #18  
I don't know much about brake controllers, but bought a Prodigy for my new truck, based on good comments in this forum.
So far it works beautifully...much better than the time delay brand I had been using.

OkieG

/ Brake controllers for trailers #19  
On my 2001 2500HD (new) I got the trailer package and the harness and Max fuse were in the glove box. If you got the truck with the trailer package you not should have to pay for the harness. My dealer told me that some dealers take out the harness and fuse and sell it back to the customer even though thay payed for the trailer package. Not sure if that is true but anything is possible. What does your owners manual tell you about the harness?

/ Brake controllers for trailers #20  
<font color="blue"> My 2500HD Chev was bought in Feb '03. I had to pay for the harness in the Parts Dept!!
<font color="black">
Should have bought a Ford. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I have a Prodigy controller. The hardest part of the install process was where to drill holes in the dash.

Nick