Brake controllers for trailers

/ Brake controllers for trailers #21  
<font color="blue"> Any recommendations on the type (strength) of chains to tie down my L3430?<font color="/">

I use 3/8 chain (can't remember actual grade) and ratcheting binders rated at 5,400 lbs working load and 19,000 breaking strength. Total cost was about $100 which is peanuts considering you're moving many thousands of $ worth of rolling stock.

/ Brake controllers for trailers #22  
I also understood that in the past, the wiring harness was available as part of the towing package. The dealer told me it's not any longer. Now, it needs to be purchased as a separate item.
The owners manual says: If your trailer is equipped with electric brakes, you can get a jumper harness (electric brake control) with a trailer battery feed fuse from your dealer.
I assume that means you need to buy it! At least that's what I had to do.

OkieG

/ Brake controllers for trailers #23  
<font color="blue"> Should have bought a Ford.
</font>

Ford must make a good product, but the thought makes me shudder. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif That is my ignorance talking, so don't pay any attention.

I had the luxury of watching my Prodigy being installed. It didn't look too hard, but I was glad just to watch. As I recall, there may be a glitch in the Prodigy instructions regarding the fusing. Tekonsha supplies a fuse to be placed in a specified empty slot in the fuse block, but the installer guy told me the wiring actually fused the controller to a fuse already in the fuse block, next to where Tekonsha said to place the fuse they supplied. What do I know? I went along with the installer and everything seems to work fine.

OkieG

/ Brake controllers for trailers #24  
<font color="blue"> ratcheting binders </font>

Harbor Freight recently supplied me (for a price) with two very nice ratcheting binders. My advice is that one is enough. Use a lever binder on one chain and the ratchet binder on the other. I think one of each works better than two of the ratcheting type. Set the lever binder first, then take out the slack with the ratchet.

OkieG

/ Brake controllers for trailers #25  
<font color="blue"> My 2500HD Chev was bought in Feb '03. I had to pay for the harness in the Parts Dept!!
</font>

Wow, so how much did they ding you for it.

My truck came with the HD trailering package plus the 5th wheel wiring. I just asked where the harness was and they handed it me. No mention of paying for it.

Jim

/ Brake controllers for trailers #26  
The receipt is around here somewhere. I think it was about $30 +/-. Is your truck a '03? If it is, I will ask my dealer about the harness, again.

OkieG

/ Brake controllers for trailers #27  
I also installed a brake controller in my yukon xl.. was a 5 minute thing. Factory pigtail plugged into fuse box, but connectors to the harness on the controller, and adding the big fuse to the fuse panel under the hood... Finding a place to drill the holes to mount the unit took more time than wiring it...

Soundguy

/ Brake controllers for trailers #28  
<font color="blue"> Is your truck a '03? </font>

Yep, bought in January. I really like this truck, but I have noticed that GM has de-contented several little things. Have you noticed that you no longer have an under hood light? Or how about lighted vanity mirrors? And of course the brake controller wiring harness. Maybe my dealer didn't know he should be charging for it or as I suspect, he feels that if you buy a truck with the HD towing package you should get the harness and the fuse. Next time I'm in there, I'll have to ask.

Jim

/ Brake controllers for trailers #29  
I use chains and binders but I'm thinking about straps. THey've got 10,000lb straps that would be a lot easier to handle. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Brake controllers for trailers
I just bought straps. They are real nice. Got them at RJays, rated at 10000 lbs. I have been installing my prodigy on my Toyota Sequoia which unfortunately does not have a ready made wiring harness. I had to wire it myself and it took some time to find the brake wire, but not terribly difficult. Tekonsha has excellent tech support by phone so I was able to do it myself and saved about $150.00.