Brake controllers for trailers

/ Brake controllers for trailers #1  

Haz

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430cab w/ FEL
Ordered a trailer for my L3430 and it has electric brakes. I need to install a brake controller on my Toyota Sequoia. It already has a tow package with a four wire plug next to the hitch. I was looking on the web and saw some recommendations for a Tekonsha Prodigy controller. Anyone have one of these and are they fairly easy to install?

Haz

/ Brake controllers for trailers #2  
If you have a factory tow package, it should have a 7 pin round connector next to the hitch and with a 7 to 4 pin converter in the glove box. It will also be prewired for the controller under the dash. Very simple install, mount the controller, splice the Toyota supplied connecter to the controller, and you're done. If you only have a 4 pin, then you have to run a wire from your dash where you mount the controller back to the hitch. You will also have to run a power wire, ground wire and a wire from the brake switch to the controller. You will also need at least a 5 pin connector, but check with the trailer manufacturer to see what the have on the trailer. I have a Tekonsha, Sentinal I think, have had it for about 3 years now, works great, never had a problem with it.
Marty

/ Brake controllers for trailers #3  
Haz
Stop by your nearest Uhaul and let the hitch experts tell you what you need. Even if you do it yourself they will explain what you need/why you need it / and how to get it done. I have a Yukon xl which was equiped with a tow package. There was a round plug at the hitch so in my case I just had to plug the wiring harness into the fuse box and mount the controleer. The controller you saw is the same brand sold at Uhaul. I have not tried it yet as my 20' trailer is on order and should arrive next week.

/ Brake controllers for trailers #4  
The Tekonsha controllers come with good instructions in the package; pretty easy job to install.

/ Brake controllers for trailers #5  
Mike

Maybe you can help me understand the set up. I have a Yukon Denali that has the tow package and has already had the factory supplied wire-harness installed. I was told I need a fuse relay. Firstly, do I need a fuse relay? No one here has mentioned one. Secondly, where does the brake controller go in the wire circuit? I am a total dunce about the wire set up. I want to either get it done this weekend professionally or by myself. I need to trade up my 8 foot utility trailer for a 16 foot for my tractor. I need to get this done before Memorial Day. I will definately follow your advice and go to a hitch dealer but I would like to understand it better before going there.

Last question. I have about a 3200# tractor with the backhoe, do the utlility/landscape trailers in the 16'/7000 gross wt. have solid enough flooring or do you need the heavier skid/equipment trailer?

Thanks

Mike M

/ Brake controllers for trailers #6  
I am getting a b2910 delivered today so I have been looking for a trailer.Some trailer dealers were suggesting a car hauler but others said this was to light a trailer and that I needed a 7000gvw trailer which is a equipment hauler. I figured it would be better to get the heavier trailer so I went
with the equipment type trailer. I have it on order but I have not seen it so I am not sure what the decking is.
The brake controller needs to be attached to the vehicle by a wiring harness. You probably got the harness when you bought the vehicle. Look in the storage unit in the rear of the Denali or in the glove box. If not the Uhaul people will sell you one or make one. The harness plugs into the fuse box at the operators seat. The plug in is marked on the fuse box cover. The harness wires are then connected to the brake box wires. The cost of the box was $89 at uhaul plus $40 to connect and mount it. I could have done it myself but it was worth the cost to get a lesson on use of the brake controller as I had never used one before. So the fuse relay they are refering to sounds like the small wiriing harness provided with the vehicle. again no big deal if you cant find it-buy one -cant be to expensive. I went with a 18 foot trailer. Dont get the drop gate landscape type trailer as the BH will get hung up on the gate. Get the split gate or the type that stores under the trailer. good luck.

/ Brake controllers for trailers #7  
Mike

Thanks for the info.

I already had the wire harness you mentioned and it is in place waiting for the brake controller.

I agree on the split ramp, I saw the potential for that problem when they delivered my tractor and saw how close the BH came to the ground when backing off the trailer.

Does anyone have any preferences for rachet tie downs, ie: nylon or chains?

Mike M

/ Brake controllers for trailers #8  
I believe the Tekonsha unit comes with an in-line fuse. When you wire it to the harness it will be fused.

I would think chains and turnbuckles would be better than the Nylon tiedowns for that size machine

/ Brake controllers for trailers #9  
When I got my '99 Silverado (assuming they are the same as your Denali) there were 2 items that had to be plugged in. One is the harness everyone is telling you about, but there was also a 40 (I think) amp fuse that had to be plugged in to the fuse box under the hood. I believe it went to slot 1 and I don't have the truck with me to check it. It should've been with the bag that had the jumper wire in it.

Jim

/ Brake controllers for trailers #10  
I bought an 03 Chevy 2500HD in January. The harness and fuse isn't supplied with truck, you need to ask for it. They give it to for free, but it's no longer in the glove box.

You only need the 40amp fuse if you need to power your trailer, ie, maintain the trailer battery.

Jim