Camera for loader

/ Camera for loader #1  

Tony M

Tractor
John deere 3720cab
Gooday all

I'm located in South Australia and have a John Deere 3720 cab tractor. I've previously posted about my experiences with fitting skidsteer wheel spacers.

Up until now the tractor has mainly been a very expensive, but extremely comfortable, lawn mower.

I have had a few tentative attempts at doing some earth-moving with the 4 in 1 bucket I bought with it, but I seem to have a problem judging the location and attitude of the bucket and how far it is open and this severely limits the amount of use I get out of it. I seem to use the float setting a lot as I'm otherwise not sure how far off the ground the bucket is. I get very embarrassed fixing glitches with a shovel afterwards.

So I got to thinking a camera mounted somewhere above the bucket and a monitor in the cab might give me a good view of what's happening up front while it's happening - at least until I develop the necessary skills. Truck reversing camera kits seem to be cheap on ebay and should do the job?

However, before going down this path I thought I'd try to find if anyone else has tried this - but couldn't find anything relevant. So, I want to ask if this is because it's a bad idea or doesn't work or am I the only one who finds this so difficult?

Any hints or advice would be very welcome.

Cheers
Tony

/ Camera for loader #2  
   / Camera for loader #3  
G'day Tony put that money into fuel and go and find somewhere to practise:thumbsup:. You will be surprised at how quick you will pick it up if you are not too worried about digging a little deep or not getting it quite right. Do you have a bucket level indicator? If not the I would suggest getting/making one as you will find it really handy, oh and think of the fun you will have while learning

Jon

/ Camera for loader #4  
A spot mirror from a big truck is so much cheaper and you can leave it on. I have one on both my large frame Kubota's to see where the fork ends are.

/ Camera for loader #5  
Agree with banjodunn...practice is the most important thing you can do.
Everybody with a loader screws up at first, so no need to be embarassed (although if your wife is like mine...I'm sure you hear all about your mistakes!!)

/ Camera for loader #6  
Seat time is all you need.

/ Camera for loader #7  
running a good bucket is hard the thing i find helfull is the newer loaders have a rod that runsup the side of the arm that is attched to a bucket as the rode slides up and down. thats how i learned.

/ Camera for loader #8  
running a good bucket is hard the thing i find helfull is the newer loaders have a rod that runsup the side of the arm that is attched to a bucket as the rode slides up and down. thats how i learned.

That's the bucket level indicator described earlier in the thread.

/ Camera for loader #9  
Another vote for the practice crowd. I have a bucket level indicator now on my new tractor, but don't rely much on it.. with practice you can feel how the bucket is doing in the way tractor is acting. I remember my first tractor, and being frustrated with loader work, and how I never could tell if I was getting much of a load or not. It was so bad that I stationed my wife off to the side to tell me if I was doing it right:eek:..(not a lot of guys would admit to that!) But after a month or 2 of practice I finally got it pretty well figured out. Over the years I have gotten better at it. Just keep practicing mate!

James K0UA

/ Camera for loader #10  
Yes, experience is what's needed.

Funny how no ones seems to think that once they know how to swing a hammer they can then build a house, but will think that knowing which lever moves the bucket means they're now an "operator"! ;)