Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

Default Re: Shear bolt

Quote Originally Posted by Tractor Seabee View Post
    Land Pride shear bolts are grade 3 and they recommend using grade 5 if it shears too often. They caution against grade 8. I have a clutch on my RT and am about ready to junk it and replace w/ a shear pin. I have to disassemble the clutch twice a year, clean it up, and reinstall. Takes an hour of cussing to get it done. A little rust on the plates (it rains a lot here) and they do not slip anymore. I have a lot of big rocks in the garden spot. Hopefully I am getting them all dug out. I carry a 3' crowbar to work them out. My LP hog has a shear bolt and never sheared last year.

Ron
    Howdy neighbor. You're doing it wrong, just loosen the bolts and mow until the thing slips on its own. Then retighten them until it only slips when needed. I usually have to go through this once every spring and I store my cutter outside.

I'll be mowing out in Home this weekend.
    Kioti CK30HST, FEL w/toothbar, 60" RC, 60" BB, PJ 10k trailer. Weekend warrior hauling 50 miles each way.

Platinum Member
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Default Re: Shear bolt

Quote Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post
    Howdy neighbor. You're doing it wrong, just loosen the bolts and mow until the thing slips on its own. Then retighten them until it only slips when needed. I usually have to go through this once every spring and I store my cutter outside.

I'll be mowing out in Home this weekend.
    HB, I started out doing that and found that trying to adjust all the bolts evenly while on the shaft and around all that shielding was a PITA also. With it on the bench it is easy with my digital caliper. Caliper won't get into the space wuth clutch on the shaft. I am going to try drilling a small hole at the proper setting on each bolt next time it is off and then try the adjusting on the machine like you do. We all learn as we go along from our mistakes and trials.

Where are you at on South Sound?

Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12