Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    MF1240

Default Shear bolt

Bought a used big bee agri five, hog does anybody know what grade bolt this thing uses, I've tried 2 and it shears on grass, or when I first engage pro (at low rpm) Thanks

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Default Re: Shear bolt

Generally shear bolts are grade 2, you want them to be the weakest link so they help protect the PTO gears and driveline parts. I don't know that I would advise going to a stronger bolt. Maybe you should try getting a slipclutch and see how that works for you? They cost about a $100 or so.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsdaddy06 View Post
    Bought a used big bee agri five, hog does anybody know what grade bolt this thing uses, I've tried 2 and it shears on grass, or when I first engage pro (at low rpm) Thanks
    They are usually grade 2 bolts. Have you got the correct diameter of bolt?

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    MF1240

Yea I have I thought about a slip clutch, yes they are the same size as the one I sheared after I bought it. Grade 2 is what I bought for it, good thing I bought a bag full..

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsdaddy06 View Post
    Yea I have I thought about a slip clutch, yes they are the same size as the one I sheared after I bought it. Grade 2 is what I bought for it, good thing I bought a bag full..
    Does the collar fit the shaft well? If so, and youre shearing as easily as you say, its likely that the shear is made for Gr5. Grade 5 shears at a higher level, but shears more cleanly tha Gr2 which is kinda gummy by camparison. Never go above Gr5 because Gr8 will damage shaft and collar.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

A slip clutch is the way to go. Swapping out shear bolts is a pia.
    How about a grade 5 in a smaller diameter?
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4310

You should ask big bee agri five about the correct shear bolt size.

I bought a Salsco chipper, made in CT, and replaced with an Imperial dia shear bolt. I felt a little play and several sheared in low-load conditions.

After calling Salsco, they advised me that the shear bolt should be metric - i.e. made in US for both American and other export markets; other markets don't have imperial bolt sizes readily available.

Works fine since.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

If you have - or can find a copy of - the manual, it should specify. My Deere brush hog uses a grade 5 - which I bought used and had to get help from fellow TBNers and other internet searching to figure it out. The dealer tried to tell me grade 8(!). Glad I didn't listen. So you can ask the dealer, but also use common sense, they may be well intentioned but off the mark...
    Just because you found it that way... doesn't mean it's supposed to be that way.

Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning
    answers
    . Bernhard Haisch

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?

Platinum Member
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Land Pride shear bolts are grade 3 and they recommend using grade 5 if it shears too often. They caution against grade 8. I have a clutch on my RT and am about ready to junk it and replace w/ a shear pin. I have to disassemble the clutch twice a year, clean it up, and reinstall. Takes an hour of cussing to get it done. A little rust on the plates (it rains a lot here) and they do not slip anymore. I have a lot of big rocks in the garden spot. Hopefully I am getting them all dug out. I carry a 3' crowbar to work them out. My LP hog has a shear bolt and never sheared last year.

Ron

Silver Member
    Tractor
    806Farmall 1650Oliver

A lot of the time old tech is better then new tech.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast