How much to install field tile

/ How much to install field tile #1  

David Wayne

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I know this will vary by region. I run my backhoe in spare time for $40 an hour.This isnt my day job. I am currently putting in an 8" tile across a hay field for a neighbor. Just folowing the old broken down line & tying in the laterals as I go. I am averaging about 40-50 feet done & backfilled an hour. $1 a foot seems like alot to me, What do you guys think?

/ How much to install field tile #2  
My cousin just told me he's putting in 1/2 mile of double wall 12" tile. Cost for that job is about $11,000. The 12" double wall is going to be a lot higher price for materials than your 8". I have to assume you are not including the tile price in your $40.

/ How much to install field tile #3  
Have not kept up with the tile pricing for awhile, but usually the main would be one price and each Y or Tee would be an additional cost. You might want to check with the local Soil and Water Conservation District office or the ADS or Hancor salesman to get an idea on installation cost. Of course most costs are figured by a tile wheel or plow machine. I presume you are doing the backfilling also, which usually added a slight cost if it was a long main. Good luck.

/ How much to install field tile
They bought the tile, I am just installing. Its on the farm I grew up on,the first part across the hay field is about 1000' with way to many blowouts to try and patch. Some have gone so long its a little iffy trying to straddle them. The second part if it becomes necessary will be another 1000' across a pasture to where I think the outlet is.I still need to find it & make sure it is open. Yes I am backfilling & letting the oldest grandson (9 yr old ) run the 8n with the blade to dress it up. Its more like play time for us that I can make some money at but dont want to over charge anyone.
Thanks for your input.
David

/ How much to install field tile #5  
Don't know about you guy's but I aint gunna swing a shovel for a $ a foot:D:D

Jon

/ How much to install field tile #6  
$40 an hour seems cheap for a full sized back hoe with a skilled operator(I see you have a 4500 but not sure what size that is) They are 80 per hour where I live for sizes like 580 Case with operator. 450 dozers with 6 way blades are same rate.
If you are working by the hour for $40 and getting 40-50 feet per hour and doing the tie-in and back filling with another tractor, then I would think you should be adding additional time for your 8n if you use it so your hoe keeps working. I think you have offered your service at a bargain. Next job should be a bit higher. It may seem like a lot of money but think about your time, equipment rental rates (check local rental companies rates and compare to your personal rate) then add in cost for your labor even though it is spare time work, you should be paid at a comparable wage for skilled operators in your area. Then you need to consider fuel, wear and tear, insurance requirements, possible break down costs and I think you will see that you are underpaying yourself a lot.
DONT forget to pay the grandson for his work. I see new labor laws restrict use of children for farm labor below 16 years of age for any activity, cant even use them to gather the eggs.

/ How much to install field tile #7  
I understand where you are coming from. You are trying to help a neighbor and keep yourself busy. I do that quite a bit, just cover your costs plus a little for the implement fund. Have fun!

/ How much to install field tile #8  
necessary will be another 1000' across a pasture to where I think the outlet is

You really should be sure the outlet is open and functional before spending alot of time and money on the other sections. If the tile was installed properly the first time, blowouts usually occur from blockages in the tile or surface water forcing the tile to become pressurized. I presume the existing tile is clay. If the clay sections are in good shape and not cracked or broken, it would be best to be sure you have a good outlet. There used to be several tile contractors in central Ohio, I'm sure you could give one of them a call just to get an idea of their pricing to put your mind at ease a bit. Bumpy Rhoades did alot of work in Delaware County. Of course that was 30 years ago. Not sure who is left anymore in that area.

/ How much to install field tile #9  
4" tile runs about a buck a foot - tile & install. Tile plow.

10 inch tile runs about $5 a foot - tile & install. Wheel trencher.

A backhoe operation probably costs more, & I'd be concerned about properly bedding the tile - throw it in a flat bottom trench & put dirt on top, it will go D shapped and collapse. Dips and hills will create low spots in the tile that will collect soil particles and fill the tile. If you got a 1/2 moon spoon on your backhoe to create the 8 inch trench, and are good at keeping dips out of the bottom, good to go. A buck a foot wouldn't be too bad, tho he could find cheaper options it's in the ballpark for hoe work.

--->Paul

/ How much to install field tile #10  
I'm not into any commercial operations, but a friend once told me that his rate was roughly 1 dollar per hour for every thousand dollars of new purchase price for the machine (or comparable machine).
That would make a $40,000 machine $40/hour. If you're running two machines, you would add the two together for the total cost.
Note that the conversation mentioned here was about 15 years back, so there may be some need to adjust for inflation, fuel cost, etc.