Tractor Overheating - Load ???

/ Tractor Overheating - Load ??? #1  

dmiller75082

Tractor
Ford 1600
I have a Ford 1600 tractor. It is overheating with the temp guage going to 240. The antifreeze is full and doesn't leak. We replaced water pump (pump froze up), thermostat (figured we'd replace it while we were in there and radiator cap. The oil pressure is at 40 psi. Prior to overheating it smells like hot oil but not like steaming antifreeze.

It seems to only happen while shredding/cutting (3 ft shredder but dull). Of course that's the main thing we use it for. But we did do some disk work and it didn't even begin to heat up past 180.

My question is: Could it be that I've got it under too much load while shredding? The grass is very high and the blade is dull. I figured it would simply stall or something if it was too much for the tractor. But I started thinking. Maybe it is just working too hard. I should try a lower gear (and sharpen the blade)?

Thanks in advance.

/ Tractor Overheating - Load ??? #2  
Is the radiator clean inside and outside?

Is the engine maintaining rpm when its getting hot? or does it slow down?:)

/ Tractor Overheating - Load ???
Radiator is clean inside and out. RPM's slow down when cutting and hitting thicker patches which is common.

/ Tractor Overheating - Load ??? #4  
Might want to check radiator temp with infrared thermometer, both top and bottom tanks. If you don't get much temp drop top to bottom that tells you where the problem lies.

/ Tractor Overheating - Load ??? #5  
Radiator is clean inside and out. RPM's slow down when cutting and hitting thicker patches which is common.

Perhaps modify your operating habits so the RPM does not drop. That may ?? Eliminate the overheating.:)

/ Tractor Overheating - Load ??? #6  
I have a Ford 1600 tractor. It is overheating with the temp guage going to 240. The antifreeze is full and doesn't leak. We replaced water pump (pump froze up), thermostat (figured we'd replace it while we were in there and radiator cap. The oil pressure is at 40 psi. Prior to overheating it smells like hot oil but not like steaming antifreeze.

It seems to only happen while shredding/cutting (3 ft shredder but dull). Of course that's the main thing we use it for. But we did do some disk work and it didn't even begin to heat up past 180.

My question is: Could it be that I've got it under too much load while shredding? The grass is very high and the blade is dull. I figured it would simply stall or something if it was too much for the tractor. But I started thinking. Maybe it is just working too hard. I should try a lower gear (and sharpen the blade)?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure the lower hose is not collapsing at high rpms. Make sure the rad cap has the correct pressure rating and have it tested to make sure it's working. Is the thermostat opening?(Start tractor without rad cap on and let the tractor warm up. When the thermostat opens, you'll see a lot of water start coming into the rad from the upper hose.) Measure the coolant temperature with a thermometer or measure the thermostat housing or the top tank temperature with an infrared thermometer when the engine is at operating temperature to verify the temp gauge. Check the fan belt to make sure it's not slipping. Since it's a diesel, check the air filter for blockage.

Be sure the air side of the radiator and the grill is not blocked with chaff and dust. Don't lug the engine down. Run the engine speed that you need for 540 pto rpm (if that's what your mower is designed for) and drop to a lower gear if you can't hold that engine speed.

Sharpening the blades will reduce the HP requirements to cut the grass.

/ Tractor Overheating - Load ??? #7  
how tall is the stuff your cutting? If its over the hood of you little tractor you could clog the rad in as little time as 2-3 min of cutting after just cleaning the rad.

Guys on the boards who do contract brush hog work have talked about how in the right conditions (tall dry stuff) they may have to stop and clean the screen in the front of the tractor ever 5-10 min.

you have any other tasks you do with it that work the tractor? does it get warm for those tasks? if not Id lean more to something like i mentioned than some other mechanical problem under the hood.

/ Tractor Overheating - Load ??? #8  
I have a Ford 1900 and have found when working it hard mine does the same thing. I'm guessing that they put a radiator on these that are sized to just work ok. And when you press the tractor more to it's limits then it tends to run the temps up. I've tried everything to get the temps down and what I found is that if I just run it below the rated max hp at say 2200 rpm instead of 2400 it won't overheat it. I also added water wetter to mine. That seems to help it as well I've found. I add it also to my chinese tractor as well and it helps it too as it does the same overheating thing when worked hard.
Oh, and also what could be part of the problem is the location of the battery and air cleaner being right in front of the radiator. On the Jinma chinese Farmpro 2420 it's been found that if you do the relocate of the battery downward with a modified box it helps it to run cooler. I'd bet that would also benefit these tractors as well.

Steve

/ Tractor Overheating - Load ??? #9  
Lots of good advice. About the only thing I didn't see mentioned was the cooling fins on the radiator.

If they get bent over you have a problem. Oh, be sure to check the upper radiator hose for possible collapsing also.

If none of the above mechanical issues are your problem...........Egon has you covered.