Steering Wheel Removal

/ Steering Wheel Removal #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
I'm trying to get the steering wheel off my Massey 135 tractor, but the jaws of my 3 jaw puller can't get a good bite due to the diameter of the rubber on the center hub.

Suggestions?

/ Steering Wheel Removal #2  
I'm trying to get the steering wheel off my Massey 135 tractor, but the jaws of my 3 jaw puller can't get a good bite due to the diameter of the rubber on the center hub.

Suggestions?

Back the nut out even with the top of the threads then take a hammer and hit the nut square on the top of the nut while some one else pulls up evenly on both sides of the wheel. works most every time.

/ Steering Wheel Removal
I finally got the steering wheel off by using a hammer and a screwdriver to break away the rubber from around the metal hub so I could use my 3 jaw puller. Even then it was stubborn, so I had to apply a considerable amount of torque to it until I heard a "pop" as the steering wheel came loose.

Since I'm gradually restoring the tractor, the steering wheel is eventually going to be replaced with a new one, so chipping away the rubber around the center, while a radical move, isn't a problem.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #4  
Another good way to try is to put a bearing splitter below the wheel and pull on that. The wheel should pop right off.

J