Bush hogging backwards?

/ Bush hogging backwards? #1  

hopson0352

I have a hill (approx. 2 acres) that but up to a wood line on the down hill side. I can drive along the woodline but seems very risky and unstable. After making several passes I figured it wasn't worth the stress it was causing me. I then began driving up the hill, shift over, then back down the next cut. it was a pain in the neck, literally, but seemed much safer, especially for my experience level. Yea I'm a noobie. I am worried that by driving the wood line repeatedly I will sink in the downhill side of my tractor, thus making it lean even more, and creating a dirt path over time. I am using a L4400hst w/ loader, loaded tires,keep the bucket real low, low gear, etc. And I'm using a 6ft bush hog. It's my neighbor's and i haven't a clue of what brand it is or its weight or other specs. I guess my quetion is does anyone else do this, and is it okay for the bush hog? Any advice? Thanks

/ Bush hogging backwards? #2  
I do that on the steeper areas of my place. Doesn't hurt the equipment al all. If you feel safer, no problem uising that technique.

/ Bush hogging backwards? #3  
That's how I do a bunch of my cutting.... back under or into stuff. I don't think there is a problem doing that. :thumbsup:

/ Bush hogging backwards? #4  
I have some ares that I have to back down and some I back up. You won't hurt anything.

You may find with time and experience that you can safely and easily mow along the slope. When you begin using a tractor, even gentle slopes seem steep. I routinely mow pond levies and hill sides that use to scare the heck out of me.

There are several old threads on mowing on slopes.

/ Bush hogging backwards? #5  
Either or,most of all what makes you feel comfortable.

/ Bush hogging backwards? #6  
Any advice? Thanks

My advice is to remove the FEL (slopes and FEL are a bad combo), mow up the slope in reverse (wont hurt your brush hog as long as you don't push it into the ground) and mow down the slope in forward, always keep the front of your tractor pointed downhill.

/ Bush hogging backwards? #7  
If you feel that the hill is unsafe then it is unsafe. A lot of folks don't have that kind of wisdom going for them. I brush hog backwards sometimes. I figure that the extra few minutes may save me being laid up all summer. Removing the FEL for mowing is an excellent suggestion. Even with the bucket lowered a FEL makes the tractor top heavy.

/ Bush hogging backwards? #8  
Yep here on the hills in WV I do it all the time. Never hurt a thing.

/ Bush hogging backwards? #9  
I've been mowing uphill backwards for many years and it hasn't hurt any thing yet (except my neck). Now I do as "rekees4300" has already said, I back up the hill then come down forward, I don't like backing down the hill.

/ Bush hogging backwards? #10  
If you feel that the hill is unsafe then it is unsafe. A lot of folks don't have that kind of wisdom going for them. I brush hog backwards sometimes. I figure that the extra few minutes may save me being laid up all summer. Removing the FEL for mowing is an excellent suggestion. Even with the bucket lowered a FEL makes the tractor top heavy.
I'm puzzling on the math on that one. You could always mess with the equations by scoping up a load in the bucket. Might be easier then dismounting the loader?