How any PTO horse power does an 8N have?

/ How any PTO horse power does an 8N have? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was wondering how many horse power was an Ford 8N rated?

Don worrell

/ How any PTO horse power does an 8N have? #2  
I have no idea about accuracy or reliability of the information, but according to tractortips.com, it's 21.06 PTO HP and 13.6 drawbar HP.

/ How any PTO horse power does an 8N have? #3  
Bird,

Here is the information I got from tractordata.com. Not sure who is right, tractordata has it a bit higher.

Murph

Ford
8N

General:
Make: Ford
Model: 8N
Manufactured: 1947 - 1952
Factory:
Total built:
Cost: $1,404 (1952)

Horsepower:
Drawbar: 23.16
PTO: 27.32

Engine:
Fuel: gas
Cylinders: 4
Bore/Stroke: 3.188 x 3.75
Displacement: 119.7
Manufacturer: Ford

Transmission:
Forward: 4
Reverse: 1

Capacity:
Fuel (Gal): 10
Cooling (Qt): 3

PTO:
Type:
Speed: 540

Tires:
Front: 4.00-19
Rear: 11.2-28

Weight: 2714 lbs

Serial Numbers

/ How any PTO horse power does an 8N have? #4  
Nebraska Tractor Test Laboratory ran tests on these in 1940's
1940 2N 23hp belt 17hp drawbar
1940 9N 23hp belt 17hp drawbar
1947 8N 21hp belt 17hp drawbar
1948 8N 25hp belt 21hp drawbar

/ How any PTO horse power does an 8N have? #5  
<font color="blue">...I was wondering how many horse power was an Ford 8N... </font>

Hi Don,

Exactly, what did you have in mind for the 8N?

What implements did you plan on using with it?

/ How any PTO horse power does an 8N have?
Don,
If you use a rotary cutter on the back of an 8N, be sure it has an overrun clutch, so that you don't get puched into a fence or over the hill /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know what a Ford 8N can do. I was just comparing my Iseki TS2205 to see how they matched up. I am told a TS2205 has between 22 and 26 hp on the PTO.

Personally I think a Ford 8N has more usable power.

Don

/ How any PTO horse power does an 8N have? #8  
I think you are correct in that the 8N has more power. Gas or diesel, that is all fine but the real deal is displacement and the 8N has a 4 cylinder 120 cubic inch engine. That is twice the size of my 2410. Both are rated at similar horsepower but my bet is on the ol'8N. Problem with such tractors as the 8N is they were made for ag use in a different age and time. There is no ROP, no seatbelt, no HYDRO (yuk), virtually no fender to keep you out of the wheel, no power steering (yuk-yuk), no purpose made easy off and on loader that is simple to use, lacks manuverability, no 4WD (triple YUK). The 8N is a great unit but it is also an antique. I wish there was a modern equivilent that had the look, feel, cubic inches, gasoline and obvious durability etc but with modern features--and--a somewhat smaller overall footprint would be nice too. I wish for a retro look. These modern tractors--all of them--look like streamlined missiles. I guess when you are mowing into the wind that low streamlined cowl really helps--sure. Simple can be nice and that is the virtue of older tractors like the 8N. J

You can find good older tractors with the bells and whistles. I have a 2444 with everything you described except 4WD. for 4,000. Well... maybe the loader does take me about 45 minutes to mount and dismount, but the loader is sturdier than anything I saw a the recent farm equipment show in Louisville.
It is an older (1968) small utility tractor 40 HP pto with 3800 lb weight ( bare ), foot throttle, pwr steering, diff lock, 3 point position and draft, 3 remotes, seperate 25 gal/min front pump for loader. live PTO, etc... There are good used small utility tractors out there if you look. The MF 135 is a good one too.

It is sort of like drive a classic car, cooler than the newer ones that all look alike /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How any PTO horse power does an 8N have? #10  
i had a 2n and if i recall it was about 22hp, used it for moving snow and pulling a rfm, only thing was it was a bear to stear, hydraulics had no down pressure, the fel was so heavy and stuck out so far that the min. u dropped the front end down all the weight pulled the rear end up and your traction was zilch,also when cutting the field if u got into some heavy grass there was no way to slow ground speed and keep the pto going. in its day it was a hell of a tractor, but i don't think it can compare to the modern ones, <font color="blue">BUT I SURE DO MISS THE SOUND WHEN IT STARTED UP </font> /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif