To TUBE or not to TUBE: that is the qestion?

/ To TUBE or not to TUBE: that is the qestion? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Not sure if anyone else deals with this, but every since I got my kubota L3400 with 7x16 R1 front tires, they always seem to leak down. Not so much the first couple of years, as its primary task was mowing. But since doing more heavy loader work, it has become a problem. No holes in the tires, and not leaking around the valve stem, but around the beads. Seems they dont like to seal well.

A few years ago, I put a couple of cans of the "fix-a-flat" stuff in each tire. Stuff was ~$3 a can or so at the local general store. All has been well. Until the other day I had one start leaking again. Spraying a little windex around teh bead, and sure enough, leaking about everywhere.

So I busted the tire off the rim, cleaned everything up with a wirewheel and put back together. No leaks so I though I had it. Did some digging and heavy FEL work and she is leaking again:mad:

It seems when doing heavy loader work and digging holes that the beads/sidewalls are flexing enough to let dirt and debris get in there and the more I drive, the more it works it way into the seat and causes leaks.

So, should I slime them or put a few more cans of fix-flat in there, or should I bite the bullet and put tubes in. Local farm-tire-shop wants $30 per tube INSTALLED, which isnt bad. Cheapest I can find online is $14 + shipping, and I really dont want to install myself. Using spoons/prybars it is too easy to pinch the tube. BTDT.

Thoughts? opinions? Experiences?

/ To TUBE or not to TUBE: that is the qestion? #2  
My problem with tubes on this kind of tire is that if you do puncture
them in the future, you can't repair with a plug. And those AGs are
prob only 4-ply.

I just fixed a wheel/tire that had been tubed. The tube encourages
more rust inside your wheel since water enters around the stem and
has nowhere to go. I removed the tire and tube, then completely
removed all rust with wire wheel and sanding. I then painted all inner
surfaces. When mounting, I used green Slime as my bead lubricant
and sealant.

Slime is the best liquid sealant I have seen, but it does not easily get
to the rim/bead area thru the stem on a mounted tire.

/ To TUBE or not to TUBE: that is the qestion? #3  
I would tube or put en enough "slime" to cover the bead at the bottom. I would avoid "fix-a-flat" if at all possible.

Aaron Z

/ To TUBE or not to TUBE: that is the qestion? #4  
I would tube or put en enough "slime" to cover the bead at the bottom. I would avoid "fix-a-flat" if at all possible.

Aaron Z

I have used this strategy with all the lawn tractor, wagon, cart and dolly tires on my gear and it seems to work very well. If the Kub front tires ever start leaking from the beads, I'd consider trying it on them, too.

/ To TUBE or not to TUBE: that is the qestion?

Aaron Z

I may go the slime route, but why do you say to avoid the fix-a-flat?? That is what I did two years ago, and have had ZERO issues until now. And even now, it is only one tire giving me fits.

/ To TUBE or not to TUBE: that is the qestion? #6  
I tubed my fronts right away for the same reason as you have mentioned. Front rims take a bad beating for how I use my tractor. Only way for me to guarantee air in them was to tube them. In 25 years have gone thru 3 sets of tubes. Gemplers seem to have a heavier "ag" type tube or at least they did 7 or 8 years ago from when I bought my last set. Most people who work in tire shops have not dealt with tubes to any large degree especially if they have a "new" kid running the tire machine. I've had mine pinch twice with them doing it. You may be better off bringing them to a place who does work with ag tires or somewhere with an old hand running the tire machine. In other words there is no guarantee you won't get a pinched tube by having it done.

Anyone use this stuff Walmart.com: Victor Sealsafe 1 Gallon Tire Sealant: Automotive

????

I have to work 10 straight, so I was going to have the wife pick it up on her way home. It "seems" there are two kinds of "slime". TIRE slime, and TUBE slime.

Walmart only lists the tube slime by the gallon, and it is more expensive than the above. Their "TIRE" slime only comes in 24oz containers. So it seems my current options are the stuff listed above, or "TUBE" slime???

Intersting that one of the reviews on the above victor stuff says that "it works better than the green stuff"

/ To TUBE or not to TUBE: that is the qestion? #8  
It seems when doing heavy loader work and digging holes that the beads/sidewalls are flexing enough to let dirt and debris get in there and the more I drive, the more it works it way into the seat and causes leaks.
Thoughts? opinions? Experiences?

You need higher air pressure in the tires when you do heavy loader work to support the weight without flexing so much. If you flex them too much you will also break the tire structure. Check the maximum pressure on the tire and use that. You might even check with the tire mfg. to see how much over max is safe.

You need higher air pressure in the tires when you do heavy loader work to support the weight without flexing so much. If you flex them too much you will also break the tire structure. Check the maximum pressure on the tire and use that. You might even check with the tire mfg. to see how much over max is safe.

I am already using the max I feel safe about inflating them to. I believe they say "never exceed 35PSI when seating the bead" and I try to keep them around 30-32psi

/ To TUBE or not to TUBE: that is the qestion? #10  
I may go the slime route, but why do you say to avoid the fix-a-flat?? That is what I did two years ago, and have had ZERO issues until now. And even now, it is only one tire giving me fits.

Are you sure you don't have a honey locust spine in the one that's leaking?
They are hard to see and sometimes barely leak under normal load.
I've had a leak problem on my Ford 3910 front tires many times in the past and couldn't find them. When I'd take them in they usually found 2-3 honey locust splines sticking through the tire and into the tube. This is a 2 wheel drive tractor with the 3 rib design which leaves lots of room for splines to get in between the ribs in the thinner rubber part. Even a 4WD front tire is no match for a honey locust spine.:)