Battery problem

/ Battery problem #1  

Gabthefordguy

Tractor
Ford 7740 SLE, International 844-S
Hi guys, I own an international 844-S and wonder if it really needs two batteries to start or if the second battery is just there for extra power...
Batteries get expensive, so this is why I am hesitating to buy two.

Anybody has had thesame problem?

Thanks, Gab

/ Battery problem #2  
spoken like a true person who does not understand electricity! :)

is the battery needed or just for extra power.

:)

the batteries are there to provide the power needed for specific applications... starting is about the biggest one.

in the old days on 12v systems, it was common to see 2 series 6v batteries.

later on 12v systems, that had high starter demand, you say huge bats like 4dlt.. or 2 paralleled 12v smaller batteries.

still other systems use a 24v start and run setup.. or a 24v start / 12v run setup.

I'm not familiar with your machine.. but you can look at the wireing to see if they are simple series or parallel, or are isolated via a solenoid bank for switching to a different scheme.

if simple parallel for increased current, check the batterty stats, and then check the battery compart ment specs.. lookup the BCI battery chart and see what's avaiolable in that size and capacity.. then compair cost of 2 vs 1 larger / higher capacity and make the choice.

BCI Battery Group Size Chart

/ Battery problem #3  
I looked at Tractor Data site and see your tractor is a 4 cylinder with 87 engine HP/diesel. Also read that it is 12 volt system and requires 1 battery. Now I've seen a few errors on that site but most of the time they are correct in what I've looked up. Perhaps some one added the second battery before you bought the tractor? I see no reason why one battery sized proper won't start that engine unless it's hard to start anyway or the starter isn't up to snuff.

Back in early April I started a 8 cylinder, 3208 cat engine that had been sitting for 6 months on a 1000 CCA spiral cell battery with no problem. It was 29 F outside when I started it too. But that engine always started good. When it started up the guy that was looking at it said it's sold. He couldn't believe that little battery started that engine.

/ Battery problem #4  
The cold climat may be why you have two. Winter starts are tough and cold batteries do not have anywhere near the same capacity as warm batteries. I have one in the tractor that I keep close to power and can easiily charge it. I have two batteries in the dozer I keep down in the woods where there is no power and it would be a hassle to charge them in the winter. So it depends on your situation and how easy your machine starts. A lot of times the second battery is optional like in my dozer. You could always try one and see how it goes.

/ Battery problem #5  
Its often easier to add a second battery than a block heater and 600yds of extension cord

/ Battery problem #6  
if you aren't near an elec outlet.. that extra bat is a saver!

/ Battery problem #7  
Many times the old spec's call out 1 battery for gasser 2 for diesel.

/ Battery problem
Ok! Thanks alot guys, I go for 1 battery and winter shouldn't be a problem as there is a block heater on the tractor

Gab :)

/ Battery problem #9  
you might also see about a "battery blanket" warmer. to run along side of the block heater.

for me central Illinois, temps can get down to -10F, and i am unable to shed the 555c TLB. and have open fields all around me. so that wind just nails anything out side. the block heater helps. but the battery for 555C TLB sets for most part right there in the wind.

the blanket warmer, helps keep the charge and starting capacity of battery up. and also keeps the battery from freezing up and becoming damaged.

=================
now if i can only get 555c TLB into a heated shed. so i do not have to mess around 5 to 30 minutes slowly letting hyd oil for loader and backhoe to warm up. without causing the by pass on hyd filter to open up. during first starting machine up.