Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Re: Yellowjacket nest disturbed...my dismount

I wonder why they know to attack the driver instead of the bucket or tire.

Bruce

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4100 Hydro

They can smell FEAR!
    Shouldn't you be at work?

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Quote Originally Posted by bcp View Post
    I wonder why they know to attack the driver instead of the bucket or tire.

Bruce
    They don't know, it's just probability. With hundreds of Yellow Jackets attacking everything moving or making noise, some will randomly get the driver. My last attack 3 got me but saw dozens stinging the tractor, brush hog, and dog. Yellow Jackets are truly bad asses not to be messed with!

Tractor
    2010 JD 2320

I second that...they had me hurtin' for certain. They got me once twice on the arm, once on a pinky and twice on the top of the head. The head shots were wicked painful. I still have 2 lumps on my head. I've been stung by lots of critters but yellowjackets take the cake so far!!

Tractor
    Kubota, L4400, BX1870

I don't know why, but yellow jackets pound for pound pack the most punch. For me, the sting isn't all that painful (at least by just one) but the aftermath those little suckers leave sucks. One sting and the area swells terribly. On the other hand, last time I was stung by a paper wasp, I really felt that sting but the swelling was minimal.
    Kubota L4400 - Land pride rear scraper blade, 6 foot landscape rake, 72'' Frontier Box Blade, Land Pride 60'' finish mower, Land Pride Q/A pallet forks, County Line Carryall built to haul and loaded R-1's
    Kubota RTV500
    Kubota BX1870

Previous Tractors: 1978 B7100, 2009 B3200

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

My dad found a ground nest once while brush chopping. Of course when we do something stupid around here (just like on TBN) we have to share it. So he tells me that he found the nest and decided to back the brush chopper up and set it down over top the hole in the ground. He knew better but had the idea that the chopper would chop them up

Needless to say we didn't have any cameras around to catch his escape when he realized the faults with his plan

He was in an open field so he just threw it in high gear and floored it out of there while swatting at them. Don't recall if he got stung or not but only remember his story about trying to chop the bees

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by rekees4300 View Post
    They don't know, it's just probability. With hundreds of Yellow Jackets attacking everything moving or making noise, some will randomly get the driver. My last attack 3 got me but saw dozens stinging the tractor, brush hog, and dog. Yellow Jackets are truly bad asses not to be messed with!
    White faced hornets seem to be a little meaner........with a sting that is tons worse.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    White faced hornets seem to be a little meaner........with a sting that is tons worse.
    Yes Bald-Faced Hornets are also bad asses but tend to nest in trees so easier to see/avoid than Yellow Jackets that hide in the ground.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

We've had some hornets that like to build in the brush, close to the ground. I hate hitting them with the rotary cutter. They're not too wild about it either. One trick I learned to minimize stings is to rotate the FEL bucket as you escape. I find that many of the bees go to the motion of the bucket and leave you alone.

Gasoline does wipe out all kinds of bees, but it smells too. usually just use a stick to knock down wasps, and use old flying insect killer on hornets. And I plug up carpenter bee holes with chewing gum.

Been close, but haven't been stung now for two years.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

A couple years ago, my neighbor had a huge yellowjacket nest in one of his bushes, above the ground............I didn't completely burn his bush down
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast