Yellowjacket nest disturbed...my dismount

/ Yellowjacket nest disturbed...my dismount #31  
When I was a kid, I set my soda can on the porch. A few minutes or so later........I took a drink. Nothin like a yellowjacket in your mouth, stinging away.:eek::shocked:

/ Yellowjacket nest disturbed...my dismount #32  
If you are allergic, a yellow jacket sting can put you in anaphylactic shock and you could die.
I was in my late 40's before I became allergic. A trip to the emergency room saved me.
I now make sure I have an EpiPen around at all times. I have had to inject myself three times already (you can't live in the country without getting stung at some time).
I use TEMPO 1% dust on the ground nests. At night, sprinkle, or dust, the stuff around the hole and the traffic into the hole tracks the stuff in and kills the occupants.
No danger of fire or explosion and actually much cheaper than gasoline at today's prices.
As for brown wasps, I carry a wasp and hornet spray can around for them.

/ Yellowjacket nest disturbed...my dismount #33  
Red Wasps seem to be the worst for me. Those buggers are pure evil!!! I ache for a few days and swell like a balloon :mad:

/ Yellowjacket nest disturbed...my dismount #34  
I was told that a hair dryer takes the pain of a sting away almost instantly. I didn't really believe it until I got stung last year and figured I'd give it a shot. Instant relief. Last night, my 22 month old was stung on his hand. He obviously screamed. My wife put the hair dryer on it right away (he was inside and right beside the bathroom when it happened) and he stopped crying instantly. I don't know why it works, but it does, give it a try.

Just like when you put your arm in hot water when you have posion ivy/oak and your itching like crazy. It's has something to do with your body releasing the stored chemicals that cause you to itch or pain from a sting. I'm sure someone up here, like a doctor knows the proper terms for this. I just know it works. :thumbsup:

/ Yellowjacket nest disturbed...my dismount
RobertBrown said:
And 5 bonus points for stopping the tractor before the dismount :laughing:.
My luck: it would have stayed in gear and stopped after it went through the wall of the house.

Well I can't take credit for the stop, the seat safety switch killed the tractor when I bailed off. I have appreciated this feature more after this incident than I did before it. :)

/ Yellowjacket nest disturbed...my dismount #36  
When I was a kid, I set my soda can on the porch. A few minutes or so later........I took a drink. Nothin like a yellowjacket in your mouth, stinging away.:eek::shocked:

Same thing happened to me couple months ago!
Had a Diet Coke with ice in mug while outside working, ice had pretty much melted, and bumble bee kept buzzing my drink. Finally, wasn't paying attention, took a big gulp; I felt something go down; thought it was a small piece of ice.....then the pain kicked in!!!!!!!!! Honestly thought I was having a heart attack! Pain, PAIN!!! Pain was down into my chest, difficulty breathing; pain; light headed; more pain; nausea; even more pain; couldn't make it into the house, had to lay down in the grass, did I mention pain? Guessing about fifteen minutes, seemed like hours, I attempted to get up and try the twenty feet to the house- couldn't make it! Finally got inside, for approx. two hours, I would get spasms, gradually less painful, and less intense.
Learned me to:
(1) Take a GOOD look in my drink before.
(2) Guard the area around my drink better than airspace above 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

On another note, friend who supervises clearing and maintenance of their pipeline right of ways, stated that for ground hornets, a long joint of 2" PVC pipe, and can of gas is standard equipment with their crews; work the pipe to the hole, lift, and begin pouring. Two "bodyguards" with a can of wasp spray in each hand are positioned near the pipe holder and pour guy. Safety man was against use of gas until he saw a sting victim en route to hospital. Now he turns the other way.

/ Yellowjacket nest disturbed...my dismount #37  
I laughed!

/ Yellowjacket nest disturbed...my dismount #38  
When I was a kid, pull tops came clean off of cans. But for many years now, they are still attached. A friend got stung in the mouth when a yellow jacket got into his beer without him knowing. From that day to this, if you look at his pull tab, it is barely open, not nearly open enough for a yellow jacket to get in. Apparently that mouth sting was a life changer for him.:D

/ Yellowjacket nest disturbed...my dismount #39  
I keep hearing people recommend gasoline for yellowjackets, and I just want to re-iterate ('cause I think I said it earlier in this thread, but it may have been a different thread) that in my experience, moth balls do just as good a job, with zero risk of fire and much less harm to the environment. As we all should know, gasoline vapors hang around for a while and spread wider than you think. All you need is for somebody to wander along where you have poured gas and light a cigarette. And pouring gasoline in the ground poisons the ground for a good long time to come.

Just use a shovel or something to drop the moth balls into the mouth of the nest and they will be gone by morning and (so far) never come back.

/ Yellowjacket nest disturbed...my dismount #40  
I know I'm late to the thread, but I agree yellow jackets are awful creatures. There is not much worse in the world that the split second that you realize what you've just run over and the first sting. They got me 7 times before I could get away while bushogging last summer.

And another warning on using gas courtsey of a former co-worker of my Dad. Yellow jackets had built a tunnel close (15 feet...ish) to this guys barn. So he poured like two gallons of gas down the hole. He didn't know it at the time, but there was a secondary entrance INSIDE the barn. For what ever reason, I think it was the case or so of beer he had that morning, he then set the hole on fire, which then lit the fumes inside the barn. The guy lost a dozer and a tractor along with that years hay crop. I seriously doubt insurance covered it (hello arson?), and Dad retired before he heard the ending of the story.