Massey Dogging

/ Massey Dogging #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
I finally got the chance to do some mowing with my new 2615. After a new battery and a new ignition switch things seemed to be fine. Yesterday I mowed a 3 acre pc of pasture. There is a small slope I have to go up and the tractor was dogging at 2,000 RPM. It's 48 hp and I'm pulling a 7 ft Woods RD finish mower.
My previous tractor was a 45 hp 231s and would pull a steeper hill than this without breaking a sweat. This 2615 feels more like a 35hp tractor.
When I got done mowing I headed out of the field and disengaged the Independent PTO, the engine immediately picked up 200 rpm. Whatever's dogging it must be related to the pto or the implement.
Should I be looking for a bearing or belt problem with the implement. Later on I thought I should have felt the mower's gear box for heat.

/ Massey Dogging #2  
I finally got the chance to do some mowing with my new 2615. After a new battery and a new ignition switch things seemed to be fine. Yesterday I mowed a 3 acre pc of pasture. There is a small slope I have to go up and the tractor was dogging at 2,000 RPM. It's 48 hp and I'm pulling a 7 ft Woods RD finish mower.
My previous tractor was a 45 hp 231s and would pull a steeper hill than this without breaking a sweat. This 2615 feels more like a 35hp tractor.
When I got done mowing I headed out of the field and disengaged the Independent PTO, the engine immediately picked up 200 rpm. Whatever's dogging it must be related to the pto or the implement.
Should I be looking for a bearing or belt problem with the implement. Later on I thought I should have felt the mower's gear box for heat.

That's where I would start. And checking everything for heat, not just the gearbox.