Security & Theft New 12x20 Shed and Tractor Storage

/ New 12x20 Shed and Tractor Storage #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Hi,
I bought a prefab 12x20 foot wooden shed that stand 13" tall. It has a 6' front door and I installed a steel door on the side. It sits right on gravel. It will function as a storage shed and a pool shed. The sun is almost always on the left side of the wall and the wall gets pretty hot and in turn makes the shed hot. There are two vents at the top.

Will the heat damage my power equipment, motorcycle, and ATV? Is there anyway I can drive the heat down or keep it from getting up ther ein temperature? The walls are standard T111 and studs are 16" on center.

Any advice is greatly appreciated-I am just worried about the exessive heat or humididity.

/ New 12x20 Shed and Tractor Storage #2  
I don't think the heat will be a problem but if you are concerned how about putting some rigid insulation on that wall? You could also look at the temperature controlled gable vents if you have power in the shed.

/ New 12x20 Shed and Tractor Storage #3  
If you run electricity to the shed, you could replace one of those vents with an exhaust fan.
I don't see heat being a problem...those machines frequently stay out in the hot weather. And, it's not going to get that hot inside...not like the inside of a car.
The humidity may be a different story...so use a desiccant of some sort or a dehumidifier.

/ New 12x20 Shed and Tractor Storage #4  
I have two large wooden sheds. Motorcycles,atvs, tractors and more are stored inside. Both get alot of sun. Dont worry about the heat and the humidity will be soaked up by the wood and dry out later. Twenty years and no rust on anything, unlike the steel shed I had before.

/ New 12x20 Shed and Tractor Storage #5  
I built a 10X20 storage shed with standard studs, metal roof and T-111 siding. I left the interior unfinished. In the summer in S.E. Louisiana, the temp was unbearable. I put .05 inch foam board on the ceiling and fiberglass bats on the wall. The temp is now workable, even in the summer.

Norm

/ New 12x20 Shed and Tractor Storage #6  
I have been told sitting a vehicle over gravel for storage will lead to rust underneath the vehicle. Something about the lime or whatever the dust in gravel that gets it to pack. Don't know if river rock would be different or not.

/ New 12x20 Shed and Tractor Storage #7  
I have been told sitting a vehicle over gravel for storage will lead to rust underneath the vehicle. Something about the lime or whatever the dust in gravel that gets it to pack. Don't know if river rock would be different or not.

It rusted out an Oldsmobile for me quickly, until I cemented it finally.