Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #1  

moship

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST 4x4 Kubota L4740-3 HST
I am looking to buy a rotary cutter (RC) for my tractor (see below) and would like advice from those with similar sized tractors. It will be used to clear/clean local trails and perhaps on my hunting property. Both places have brush, saplings and plenty of rocks. It will NOT be used to cut grassy fields. Pace of cut does not matter to me. I have never used one before, nor can I borrow one to try.
1. The Kubota manual states 72" max and a weight of 770 lbs for this tractor. The 3-pt generates considerably more lift, so I am curious if it can handle a heavier rotary cutter. The heavy duty cutters are closer to 1,000 lbs (ex: Woods BB600X @1,039 lbs). It is likely the FEL will be used with the RC. Is anyone using the "Heavy duty" cutters with a similar tractor and do you have any issues?
2. It is anticipated many saplings will have to be backed over and pushed by the RC. Are any brand/models better equipped for this?
3. Is a slip clutch better for this type of cutting situation?
4. 60" will not clear the tires, but 72 will. What size?
5. Is the 1.5" cutter capacity on most (Bush Hog, Woods, Rhino) conservative? What happens if it hits something at 2"?
6. I would not mind buy used, but noticed some of the asking prices are more than what they were listed new at 5-6 years ago.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #2  
With 25.5 PTO HP, I think you'd be happier with the 60" cutter...for the mowing you describe. If it had been more field work (grasses and light brush), I'd have suggested a 72" cutter. With field mowing, you can take partial width passes if the tractor bogs. You may not be able to do that when mowing a trail.
As far as the weight limitation...if your manual states 770 lbs maximum, it may be due to the "tail wagging the dog" effect of a long implement. That can be disconcerting.

That said, as long as you use your Kubota as a tractor and not as a bulldozer and maintain a degree of common sense, I suggest you select the cutter that you think would work best. I also suggest you cut as high as possible for the first passes. A cutter can handle saplings up to an inch or two...much bigger can beat the equipment. That first pass can expose stumps and rocks that you may not want to hit.

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #3  
Not all grasses are created equal, some varieties can bog down a tractor while cutting as well; but I agree with the advise. Tractor/rig "balance" will become a real concern out there in the woods.

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #4  
I have a woods 72" and run it with either of my 2 tractors; 30 hp Ford, which is maller and easier to get into tight areas, and my New Holland 45 hp, which obviously as more power for heavier stuff.

My dealer suggested slip clutch, so that is what I have and like it.

I would suggest a major name brand like woods or bush-hog , stronger and better parts/service availability; check the thickness of the steel deck and shroud, the pto shaft,Higher price perhaps but strongeer, worth the price, I think - I seen several Land Prides' ; all banged up and twisted!

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #5  
1. The Kubota manual states 72" max and a weight of 770 lbs for this tractor. The 3-pt generates considerably more lift, so I am curious if it can handle a heavier rotary cutter. The heavy duty cutters are closer to 1,000 lbs (ex: Woods BB600X @1,039 lbs). It is likely the FEL will be used with the RC. Is anyone using the "Heavy duty" cutters with a similar tractor and do you have any issues? Pretty much what Roy said, it will work, but not well.

2. It is anticipated many saplings will have to be backed over and pushed by the RC. Are any brand/models better equipped for this? We have used several and now use Woods and Land Pride, Bush Hog and other top brands are all good choices. I don't know that one is better than the other, but are better than the cheaper models. Even some models within brands will be better based on cutting capacity, so compare similar models.
3. Is a slip clutch better for this type of cutting situation? We prefer slip clutches, but some like shear pins. I got tired of replacing shear pins.
4. 60" will not clear the tires, but 72 will. What size? That is pretty well tied in with #1. Ideally it would, but one limits the other.
5. Is the 1.5" cutter capacity on most (Bush Hog, Woods, Rhino) conservative? What happens if it hits something at 2"? Our experience is that nothing will happen if it is not done really often. Once you go much above that, you can get gear box failure and it really gets noisy and shakes the heck out of your equipment.
6. I would not mind buy used, but noticed some of the asking prices are more than what they were listed new at 5-6 years ago. I prefer new equipment as you really can't tell how close a gear box is to failure, but some prefer used; just can't say beyond my preference.

Just some opinions and there are a lot on here who know more than I.

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #6  
I would consider a 60" as they are way more common, and a good bit cheaper. I suspect you could get by with most any brand as long as you tke your time on the first cut, You should be able to get 400-500 hours out of a standard cutter. That is 40 hours a week for ten years at a cost of maybe $100-125 per year ($1000-1250 purchase price). A good used cutter would cut your cost to less than $50 probably.

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #7  
I am really suprised that the 1000lb+ cutters you are looking at are only rated @ 1.5" capacity. Or am I mis-understanding you??

IF you plan on running with the loader on for front ballast, I'd get the heaviest duty cutter you can. Especially with the conditions you describe. The light duty stuff, like 600lb cutters, are good for overgrown fields of grass, but not much more. When you start tangling with dense brush, sapplings, and an occasional rock, the heavier the better.

As to the width, I'm going to go against the grain here and say get the 6' cutter. You will have to go slower than with a 5' cutter, but end result of how fast you can cut is based on HP, not cutter width. IE: if you run a 5' cutter @ 6MPH or a 6' cutter @ 5mph, the end result is the same.

FWIW, My L3400 is a smaller tractor (with a tad more power) and I run an ~1100lb bushhog 306 (6') cutter. I think it is rated @ 4" and 90HP gearbox. It is one indestructible beast. But leaving the FEL on is a must. Other than that, I have NO issues running it. While running, the tailwheel carries most of the weight anyway. Just be sure with that heavy of a cutter that the anti-sway turnbuckles are tight. If there is any play and you make a sharp turn, ya know it.

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance
Everyone: Thanks for all the replys so far. Please keep them coming.

LD1: The 1,000 lb RC's are typically rated in the 3" and 4" cut capacity.

I seen a used Woods BB6000X the other day and it was built like a tank, but it weighs in at 1,330 lbs.

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #9  
Having a brush hog hanging way off the back of your tractor really cuts down your maneuverability in tight spots (like the woods). Having a FEL hanging over the front of your tractor really cuts down your maneuverability in tight spots, too. Take a 6' stick and go for a walk along your trails and make sure you can negotiate the route before you buy, keeping in mind that your tractor, hog & FEL will describe a long rectangle about 6' wide that can't bend to get between rocks & trees.

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #10  
I am looking to buy a rotary cutter (RC) for my tractor (see below) and would like advice from those with similar sized tractors. It will be used to clear/clean local trails and perhaps on my hunting property. Both places have brush, saplings and plenty of rocks. It will NOT be used to cut grassy fields. Pace of cut does not matter to me. I have never used one before, nor can I borrow one to try.
1. The Kubota manual states 72" max and a weight of 770 lbs for this tractor. The 3-pt generates considerably more lift, so I am curious if it can handle a heavier rotary cutter. The heavy duty cutters are closer to 1,000 lbs (ex: Woods BB600X @1,039 lbs). It is likely the FEL will be used with the RC. Is anyone using the "Heavy duty" cutters with a similar tractor and do you have any issues?
2. It is anticipated many saplings will have to be backed over and pushed by the RC. Are any brand/models better equipped for this?
3. Is a slip clutch better for this type of cutting situation?
4. 60" will not clear the tires, but 72 will. What size?
5. Is the 1.5" cutter capacity on most (Bush Hog, Woods, Rhino) conservative? What happens if it hits something at 2"?
6. I would not mind buy used, but noticed some of the asking prices are more than what they were listed new at 5-6 years ago.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

The 770 lb weight lmiitation most like stems from the effect of the mower's center of gravity being several feet behind the lift arms causing a moment about the rear wheels that lowers the down force on the front wheels and makes the steering less effective. This lightening effect is greatest when the cutter is lifted off the ground.
This can be countered by ballast weights on the front of the tractor as long as the max weight limit of the tractor is not exceeded.