R4s Report

/ R4s Report #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
I've had a chance to put some seat time in on my new machine. It has R4s on all 4 corners. I was really concerned the front tires would tear up the turf on tight turns, well such is not the case. They are not destructive at all, in fact they are easier then the 4 rib tires on my old MF.
I am disappointed in the R4 rears. I dosen't take much of an incline for them to slip. The R1s on the older machine never slipped on turf.
Not sure if I should have chosen the R1s.
No doubt the R4s should be great in snow- I hope.

/ R4s Report #2  
I've found that they are jack of all trades master of none. Get a set of chains and don't look back.

They don't tear up the yard mowing and they can take a heavy load. Do ok in the mud, same in snow. But chains if you don't want to be frustrated.

/ R4s Report #3  
I like my JD 3005, but hate the R4s that came on it. Should have paid more attention when I bought it. Both of my Kubotas have R1s as did my old, departed Ford 1700. Mud's the issue here, not snow. I can use the Kubotas all seasons. The JD sits in the garage November to April. At least it runs the generator great when the lights go out. I'm seriously thinking of investing in
R1s just to get the JD up my logging road in the winter. But they're expensive; almost cheaper to trade in for a new tractor and specifically order it with the R1s.
MF

/ R4s Report #4  
I had R4's on my previous Kubota and got to use them in LOTS of deep snow. I got by with them but struggled sometimes. For my uses, the only good thing I found with R4's was they were good for the front end doing loader work. Love my R1's now.

/ R4s Report #5  
The R4 tires are good for normal to dry conditions but are lacking in mud and snow from my experience. While lots of people want to use their tractors when it is sloppy wet I would rather park my equipment as I don't have animals to feed. Firewood should be gathered when you have drier weather imo. I learned long ago to stay off the soft ground as you will just make a mess of the land and roads.

I use R1 tires on one tractor and R4's on the backhoe and grading tractor.

/ R4s Report #6  
I've had a chance to put some seat time in on my new machine. It has R4s on all 4 corners. I was really concerned the front tires would tear up the turf on tight turns, well such is not the case. They are not destructive at all, in fact they are easier then the 4 rib tires on my old MF.
I am disappointed in the R4 rears. I dosen't take much of an incline for them to slip. The R1s on the older machine never slipped on turf.
Not sure if I should have chosen the R1s.
No doubt the R4s should be great in snow- I hope.

They are not great in snow. They are usable, but not great. However they can be improved. See this thread.. I did it on my Kubota, and noticed a difference, in the only snow we had last winter that I actually cleaned the driveway, and went downhill to put 0-3/4 gravel in front of my wifes car to get it unstuck on our stupid horrible hill. Check out this rather long thread about cutting/grooving/siping R4 tires.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/snow-removal/193438-cutting-groving-siping-r-4-a.html

James K0UA