nuts came loose on front wheels.....

/ nuts came loose on front wheels..... #1  

candyman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 2011 MX5100 W/la844 loader, ag/ tires loaded, Massey Ferguson 2010 GC2610 TLB w/ r4 tires, loaded, 60" Belly Mower
this happen to anyone else. ??

what do i do , new rims, nuts, bolts, studs... where do i get them. ??

kubota mx5100 4wd. just happened monday.

candyman

Attachments

• DSCN2561.JPG
    DSCN2561.JPG
    968.5 KB · Views: 874
  • DSCN2560.JPG
    DSCN2560.JPG
    932.3 KB · Views: 921
  • DSCN2559.JPG
    DSCN2559.JPG
    954.6 KB · Views: 734
   / nuts came loose on front wheels..... #2  
Wow! At a minimum, I think you'll need a new wheel and probably new lug nuts. Hopefully the studs are still OK, but check them carefully.

/ nuts came loose on front wheels..... #3  
this happen to anyone else. ??

what do i do , new rims, nuts, bolts, studs... where do i get them. ??

kubota mx5100 4wd. just happened monday.

candyman

I dont see how the studs could be any good either.. yes to all of your questions, I would start at The dealer. You are supposed to check the tightness upon putting the tractor in service and every 50 hours. A lot of guys don't, and everything is fine, But this time everything was not fine. I don't see how anything but the tire can be salvaged. good luck

James K0UA

/ nuts came loose on front wheels..... #4  
If a break down isn't going to cost you alot of money or kill you, I might try some big thick washers. Take off the nuts, put the washers on and then the nuts, and then tighten and hope the washers bend into a rough taper to take up the slack and roughly centre the wheel holes on the studs.
I also add maybe a third to the torque spec to help keep things tight and hope you don't snap a stud.
I found a couple lug nuts I could turn a half turn at my 50hr service which surprised me, but I guess that's why you're supposed to check.

/ nuts came loose on front wheels..... #5  
I know that oversize lug nuts are available in certain sizes for just such an occasion. Whether they are available for your tractor I can't say. You would need to take a lug nut to your local NAPA type store or tractor repair mech. and match it up.

/ nuts came loose on front wheels..... #6  
I second the vote for the washers, maybe even make a stack of 3 of different od's weld them together then grind them into an arc. That will be a whole lot cheaper than new rims and might back the nuts off the studs far enuff to get good thread.

/ nuts came loose on front wheels..... #7  
New wheel or good used wheel, in this case you will probably have stress cracking in the wheel you now have. lug nuts all need replacing.
At least see the dealer, and get the proper rim size, then google for a replacement.
david

/ nuts came loose on front wheels..... #8  
The washer idea may work in the short term but I would get some new rims on order and swap out when they come in. The rim center hole should be very tight to the tractor hub and it looks like yours is wallowed out a bit. That should be where the weight is carried with the nuts just holding the rim tight to the hub,
You will need new studs and new rims, so rather than take a chance on damaging the wheel hub, get the new rim now and replace it.
Check all the bolts now to make sure they are tight.
This reminds me that I need to check mine with a wrench, rather than just visually as I have about 50 hours on it now.

/ nuts came loose on front wheels..... #9  
Last year I happened to notice that a couple of nuts had backed off (fallen off!) of one front wheel on my Kioti DK45. I was lucky that the others were still tight, so no damage to the wheel. I finally found some with the same thread at the local Kubota dealer, but the head is a different size so I have to use two different sockets when I check the torque!
I don't think it would hurt to try the washer-cone approach others have suggested...if it doesn't work out, you can still go to a bunch of new parts.
BOB

/ nuts came loose on front wheels..... #10  
If this vehicle did 50 you would have to replace, but my neighbor who is a mechanic for the state parks had a large deer back hoe in with the same problem. The holes were worse, but he got some plate, cut it down, drilled a hole and welded it on.

He also advised the owner to start looking for a new used rim, but felt the fix would hold a long time.