Mowing What is more tippy?

/ What is more tippy? #1  

glenn440

Tractor
JD 6320, 3320
Have bought a new Deere 3320 with 60" MMD but still have not taken delivery yet. This machine is to replace a Kubota BX2100. We do a lot of mowing on the farm including some rather steep ditch banks. It would appear that the 3320 will have a higher center of gravity than the 2100. The 2100 had turf tires and they would easily load up and sometime the tractor would slide sideways when running parallel to the ditch bottom and it has on occasion been on its side in the ditch bottom. The 3320 will have R4 industrial tires - so I am hoping it will be less apt to slide sideways on inclines.

Anyone have experience with these two machines willing to speculate which will be more tippy?

Anyone ever heard of half loading the tires to keep the weight down low and hopefully make it more stable on slopes.

Likely should look for other means of mowing these slopes - but it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks!!

Thanks

/ What is more tippy? #2  
I expect the 3320 will feel more tippy as it is a taller tractor then the B2100...taller resulting in a higher center of gravity. IIRC, one can select a smaller industrial tire for the 3320. I suggest you discuss that with your dealer.

Definitely load those tires!!
I suggest you also determine if there is any advantage to swapping the wheels side to side to get more width (wider track). I gained about 4" or so when I reversed mine (turf tires can be reversed, Industrials cannot).

Obviously, you'll want the ROPS up (if you get a folding type) and wear your seatbelt religiously.

I also strongly suggest you stay off wet grass (don't just look at the grass...walk it and see if your soles are wet)...it won't matter what type of tire you have if the grass is wet. They all slip...

Last edited:
   / What is more tippy? #3  
I'm not very experienced at mowing on slopes except the roadside that I do with the BX. One thing for certain is that I try to do it on when it is dry and make sure that I am in 4-wheel drive with the seat belt buckled. On my slope there isn't much choice but to mowing parallel. So far it has worked out okay, but it's one of the "pucker" jobs. The turf tires with no loading work fine for me, but your half loading idea may be worthwhile. I hope your JD meets your expectations. I guess, if one rolled over on my slope it wouldn't be all that bad since the roll wouldn't be that far....but I'm too old for such thrills.

/ What is more tippy? #4  
The R4 tires can be quite slick in some conditions. They have large flat blocks of rubber for tread that have no sipes. Under some conditions, we would just park the equipment because it would just slide sideways. I have seen a large endloader get stuck in a frozen field that the top 1 inch was mud.

/ What is more tippy? #5  
Doesn't matter what machine...just widen the wheels to max setting. Make sure your new Deere comes with two piece adjustable wheels front and rear, otherwise, get them to throw in the largest wheel spacers offered.

BTW, just to head off the normal wheel bearing whiners...even if setting your wheels to the widest setting does stress the wheel bearings a bit more, most people will never operate their tractor enough to see the results, and even if they do, wheel bearings are a lot cheaper than post-rollover repairs and/or replacement of the operator (you)!

-Phillip

/ What is more tippy? #6  
One thing to realize is that you sit higher on the deere regardless of where the CG is so it will feel like you are going to fall over....

Deere doesn't officially condone the use of wheel spacers but I put 4" on each side of mine and it made a world of difference. I used cast iron spacers off ebay that cost about $350. I don't have much for hills here but it really helped with unbalanced loads on the loader (lifting farm equipment off trailers for example).

Wheel weights or loaded tires certainly improve the stability too.

/ What is more tippy? #7  
kentuckydiesel said:
Doesn't matter what machine...just widen the wheels to max setting. Make sure your new Deere comes with two piece adjustable wheels front and rear, otherwise, get them to throw in the largest wheel spacers offered.

BTW, just to head off the normal wheel bearing whiners...even if setting your wheels to the widest setting does stress the wheel bearings a bit more, most people will never operate their tractor enough to see the results, and even if they do, wheel bearings are a lot cheaper than post-rollover repairs and/or replacement of the operator (you)!

-Phillip

Great comment !!!

/ What is more tippy? #8  
Deere doesn't officially condone the use of wheel spacers

Sure they do...they make wheel spacers themselves, and show their use in tread width setting charts! Up to 4" per side is offered by Deere for my tractor.

-Phillip

Attachments

• wheel spacers web.JPG
    wheel spacers web.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 220
   / What is more tippy? #9  
If you have an attached FEL, make sure your bucket stays up high enough that it doesn't catch the ground when mowing parallel on a hill. It will put a real scare into you if it catches and brings your back uphill wheel off the ground.

/ What is more tippy? #10  
Yeah, run your bucket real high on a slope:confused2: NOT