A few minor discoveries

/ A few minor discoveries #1  

Trev

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently tractor-less
This weekend I found out a few things I didn't know before.

The first was that it's apparently wise to keep 3pt hitch implements aligned so that the PTO shaft is a straight as possible. I found vibrations in my PTO generator that bothered me, but using a 2x4 under the generator to align it precisely solved the vibration problem completely.

Second: I found that my rear tiller would make a strange ticking sound, as if a tine were hitting something, but only when raised all the way. If, at the end of each row, I simply raise the tiller half way, it's perfectly quiet.

Third: I found that my dirt scoop, when attached so as to load dirt in the forward direction rather than backwards, hit my R4 tires (mounted in their widest position) when raised as high as it would go. If I left it in a lower position, it would clear the tires.

Fourth: I found that the only implement I have which I have difficulty connecting works fine with a free-wheeling clutch installed between it and the tractors PTO shaft. However, my other implements would need the PTO shaft shortened if I wanted to use the clutch with them. Since I have no problem hooking up the other implements, I just leave the clutch on the mower, and don't bother with it on the other implements.. saves the hassles of cutting down PTO shafts and solves my problem.

Fifth: I learned that my wife isn't happy when I nick her BMW with the mower! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Because I adjusted it this time so the PTO was perfectly straight, it was sticking out further on the right than I'm used to. Dumb mistake!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hope everyone had a nice holiday...

Best,
Bob

/ A few minor discoveries #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Second: . . . )</font>

Yep, my Bush Hog tiller did the same thing; presumably from such a sharp angle at the u-joints on the PTO driveshaft, and I just used the same solution you're using. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ A few minor discoveries #3  
Good thing it's warm enough for sleeping in the steel building, but not to worry, Viv will let you back in the house when she needs fuel oil for the furnace.

/ A few minor discoveries
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Good thing it's warm enough for sleeping in the steel building, but not to worry, Viv will let you back in the house when she needs fuel oil for the furnace. )</font>

I dunno.. she was talking about buying a dog house. We don't have a dog. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ A few minor discoveries #5  
"The first was that it's apparently wise to keep 3pt hitch implements aligned so that the PTO shaft is a straight as possible."

U-joints (the Yoke fittings on the ends of PTO shafts) shouldn't be on more then a 15° angle.

/ A few minor discoveries #6  
Trev:
You may be able to adjust the three point control lever so it stops the lift at a lower height.

Sure hope that metal building has a cot and bug screens.

Egon

/ A few minor discoveries #7  
<font color="blue"> she was talking about buying a dog house. We don't have a dog. </font>

Never a good sign /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ A few minor discoveries #8  
"I dunno.. she was talking about buying a dog house. We don't have a dog. "

Ohhhh, yeah, it would make a great Fort. Could you fit a small fridge in it? Get the boys over and play a little poker.

/ A few minor discoveries #9  
Wait 'til you get the repair bill on that beamer! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifYou'll need to rent out the doghouse (or perhaps you can rent out your room while sleeping in the doghouse)! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif