Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    CK20 HST

Default Re: almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!

Quote Originally Posted by slofr8 View Post
    You've gotten a lot of good advice. I wont add to it other then to say the views are awesome. Lovely place. Looks like a river n the valley?
    I'm sure you weren't enjoying them from the elevated position of the tractor seat tho.
    X2

Phil
    Phil

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

Why not just lower the bucket which should right the machine. I've done it hundreds of times with a skid loader.
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Page View Post
    Why not just lower the bucket which should right the machine. I've done it hundreds of times with a skid loader.
    Hundreds of times??? Even with a skid steer I'd learn how not to need to do that on a regular basis.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Case IH 255, Gravely 8199G

I appreciate the OP starting this thread, which I'm just reading, and wondering how he felt sitting up in the air like in a stuck ferris wheel. Don't ever want to do that again, so my guess is that he will load up that tractor with all the weights talked about here, and do some more load testing with that bucket on something other than a steep slope.

Nice tractor, beautiful property, glad the OP didn't get hurt. And he was a good guy for sharing this with us.

Meaningful to me as I'm going to be getting my first FEL next year and boy that could be me me hanging up in the air too. Course I like weights, and those suitcase ones, though ridiculously priced for green or red iron, do keep the profile of the tractor slimmer up front, and there are lots of reasonably priced ballast boxes out there for three point hitches. And having read this thread, I think if the FEL is on, so must be the ballast box. You can't get around certain laws of nature, I like the reference to teeter totter a ways back, so it gets down to knowing your limitations. The OP found out the hard way, but since he didn't get hurt, this is a happy ending story.
    I bet more than one of us will be adding some more weights on.
    Easier than taking weight off, huh?
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, LP RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, LP 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, DR tow behind string trimmer

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    Hundreds of times??? Even with a skid steer I'd learn how not to need to do that on a regular basis.
    As a weekend warrior you would think that, but in an industrial environment doing real work where production means profit it happens quite often on a skid loader. Maybe not to this extreme every time, but dropping the load in a hurry does happen quite a bit. You'll also see it with articulating loaders working on uneven ground.
    MY2012 John Deere 5083e-563 FEL, 2008 CAT 272C with 60" Bradco Mulching Head

Quote Originally Posted by AGGIE00 View Post
    As a weekend warrior you would think that, but in an industrial environment doing real work where production means profit it happens quite often on a skid loader. Maybe not to this extreme every time, but dropping the load in a hurry does happen quite a bit. You'll also see it with articulating loaders working on uneven ground.
    I've done highway construction for thirty six years and seen a lot of loader and skid steer work. Daylight unintendedly under more then one tire is vary rare thing and cowboys flogging around beyond their ability get pulled off the machine. They are much faster then a weekend warrior but they "know their limitations".

Tractor
    Kubota 7510 and B3200

Well your 4105 is only 2 inches longer than my B3200. Seems like a short wheelbase for a larger tractor. That being said - I would rethink on the reasons you need such a heavy bucket. Change to a lighter bucket. Fluid in the rear tires would help. Acquire lots of ballast. Run in the lowest gear traversing the slope.

I recently visited a tractor junkyard where I found numerous tractor ballast pieces. I selected two flat pieces that I U bolted onto my rear tool bar which is similar to your ripper. They were inexpensive and bolted right on. I could opt for more ballast just by using longer U bolts.
    Caution: Some of my posts may be politically incorrect.
    Kubota B7510 & B3200

Silver Member
    Tractor
    McCormick CT28

Get some weight on that back and keep that bucket low. There is no reason to have it more than a foot off the ground when traveling. I use mine with a full bucket of dirt to drive up and down the jumps on my motocross track to pack them down, they look to be steeper than what you are dealing with. Loaders should have down pressure also. You could slide down the hill on your bucket with the front tires off the ground if you wanted to.

Tractor
    2520 TLB

Yikes....glad to hear there were no injuries as a result of this.

In that short amount of time that the tractor switched states...dynamic to static....brings up an interesting engineering challenge. Not considering the strap that is attached.....If left alone in the static state as the picture shows, which way will she go as the FEL hydraulic pressure leak-bye occurs? Don't jump to a conclusion too quickly here...there are always the not so obvious factors to think about.

Do I have the definate answer.....heck No.
    2007 JD-2520, 46 BH, 200CX Loader, QA Snow Plow, QA Artillian Forks, Bucket Toothbar, 3-point Rear Blade, Ballast Box

2011 eXmark Pioneer ZT, 52" Deck

Tractor
    MF 2660 LP, Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wcampbell47 View Post
    Well your 4105 is only 2 inches longer than my B3200. Seems like a short wheelbase for a larger tractor. That being said - I would rethink on the reasons you need such a heavy bucket. Change to a lighter bucket. Fluid in the rear tires would help. Acquire lots of ballast. Run in the lowest gear traversing the slope.

I recently visited a tractor junkyard where I found numerous tractor ballast pieces. I selected two flat pieces that I U bolted onto my rear tool bar which is similar to your ripper. They were inexpensive and bolted right on. I could opt for more ballast just by using longer U bolts.
    Good points. I would add that it is torque and the moment arm that matter. The ripper is not as good a place to attach extra weight because it so close to the tractor. A better effect would be had by something that sticks out further (such as a good heavy bush hog.) Anyway, every pound of ballast is twice as effective on a moment arm twice as long, BUT the pivot point in your case is the front axle, so the ripper is still on a long moment arm from the front axle.
    jwr
    ------------------------------------------------------
    MF2660 LowProfile, 7'BushHog, Orsi Articulated boom hydraulic rotary cutter, Landpride 6' finish mower, Kubota BX2200, Kubota B2150, 5' snowblower, 6' blade, scraper box, Gravely 1983 w/sulky, mower and snow blower, misc. attachments. Pequea 1018 deckover trailer, half interest in Massey Harris Pacer family heirloom... and a lot of junk...

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast