Ballast almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #151  
Fill the tires. There is no way I would operate my tractor without it and I would also fill about 2/3 of a 55 gallon barrel with concrete and cut it down and set it up to fit into your 3 point. I did for my tractor and it keeps things stable and safe. I also set my tires to the widest stance that they would go to.

Chris

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #152  
And....if a ballast box or the like is used, be sure to fill it with something that becomes one with the box. The practice of filling them with loose heavy stuff could end up being a fatal error. With ROPS and seat belts being used...the chance of surviving an en-do are quite probable....but that tunk on the back of the head from a cast iron head off a V-8 will definitely leave a mark.:confused2:

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #153  
And....if a ballast box or the like is used, be sure to fill it with something that becomes one with the box. The practice of filling them with loose heavy stuff could end up being a fatal error. With ROPS and seat belts being used...the chance of surviving an en-do are quite probable....but that tunk on the back of the head from a cast iron head off a V-8 will definitely leave a mark.

I use sand...even in a roll over, loose sand shouldn't do any real harm and one can add or remove it easily if desired.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #154  
Yea....using other things is better than some things as is using some things is better than others. I am not so sure that several hundred pounds of wet sand falling to the back of the head in what could be a very short amount of time would be a harmless event. I am not trying to pick a fight here.....just tickling the potentials. :)

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #155  
Yea....using other things is better than some things as is using some things is better than others. I am not so sure that several hundred pounds of wet sand falling to the back of the head in what could be a very short amount of time would be a harmless event. I am not trying to pick a fight here.....just tickling the potentials. :)

I'm pretty careful when I operate the tractor. I'm strictly a residential owner/operator and never in any hurry. And, it's a rare occasion I'm operating during wet weather (except snow plowing).
Main thing...working on a slope (in any direction) requires slower travel and a bit of forethought.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #156  
No doubt how forethought plays in......it prevent accidents which in turn eliminates injuries. :thumbsup:

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #157  
I am reminded of the fifties and sixties when some of us on a budget used to put 6x9 speakers, the ones with the biggest magnets you could afford, up on the rear deck to get better sound. Now the smart way to install them was of course in the deck facing up, not sitting loose on the back deck.

One slam on the brakes and too many kids got head injuries from flying Jensens and Audiovoxes becoming genuine high speed missiles. Rarely would the twisted on speaker wires provide much resistance to forward motion. One of the strange bits of knowledge I picked up in the insurance industry for many years.
If something is going to go on the back seat deck, it ought to be a box of Kleenex...

Those of us with ROPS and seat belts have to keep this in mind, what will go flying around, or come loose, if we tumble? I had thought of using a large collection of Universal Gym weights I have, the flat kind that are 15 pounds of perfect iron that stack marvelously. And after reading this, I will make sure I build some kind of very strong retaining strap or top on it for sure. I think those weights would hurt more than wet sand, and I don't think either of us want to try.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #158  
I am reminded of the fifties and sixties when some of us on a budget used to put 6x9 speakers, the ones with the biggest magnets you could afford, up on the rear deck to get better sound. Now the smart way to install them was of course in the deck facing up, not sitting loose on the back deck.

One slam on the brakes and too many kids got head injuries from flying Jensens and Audiovoxes becoming genuine high speed missiles. Rarely would the twisted on speaker wires provide much resistance to forward motion. One of the strange bits of knowledge I picked up in the insurance industry for many years.
If something is going to go on the back seat deck, it ought to be a box of Kleenex...

Those of us with ROPS and seat belts have to keep this in mind, what will go flying around, or come loose, if we tumble? I had thought of using a large collection of Universal Gym weights I have, the flat kind that are 15 pounds of perfect iron that stack marvelously. And after reading this, I will make sure I build some kind of very strong retaining strap or top on it for sure. I think those weights would hurt more than wet sand, and I don't think either of us want to try.

I am thinking the sand is not going to be a big deal, tho the mental picture of Roy spitting out sand is kinda graphic.. But I am thinking about the log chains I usually keep in the top of my ballast barrel. Not to mention a rock fork or chainsaw over the head.:eek: Best keep the tractor on 4 wheels.:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #159  
focusing on the lighter side:

like not spilling your hot coffee, perhaps a coffee/drink holder on a gymbal....Roll right over and have a sip... Of course,
perhaps in today's deluxe cabs, like the airlines, something would drop down to help you if you were hanging vertically in your straps. I might suggest a really ice cold beer, the phone number of the local florist to put your wife in a good mood before she hears about this..., and your best buddy's beeper number to come help you.

Just think, in the near future's closed cab tractors, I bet airbags are mandatory.
Guess they'll need a ceiling bag.

It takes so little time to be safe, and so little time to get in a bad way,
let's all take the time to be safe. Drew

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #160  
I am thinking the sand is not going to be a big deal, tho the mental picture of Roy spitting out sand is kinda graphic.. But I am thinking about the log chains I usually keep in the top of my ballast barrel. Not to mention a rock fork or chainsaw over the head.:eek: Best keep the tractor on 4 wheels.:thumbsup:

James K0UA

Better sand then blood, Bro!