Ballast almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #171  
Hey guys
What do you guys recommend??

I read through four pages of ideas. The one idea I did not read is to go down the slope in REVERSE while keeping the bucket low.

Then you won't have that problem.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #172  
I had my own [well actually second one. I'm a slow learner.] Oh S**t! moment just yesterday. My old buddy Kubota with FEL and finish 3 blade mower on back as counter weight and I were in a place that I have been many times knocking down some growth on a walking trail on my back 40. So I was more dreaming about my recent trip to Cape Cod than being an alert tractor operator and did not grasp until almost too late that the large amount of rain over the last several months had soften the down slope half of the trail and suddenly I realized that the left front wheel was sinking and the right rear was actually off the ground. I had the FEL AND [since I was 'coming back'] the mower deck lifted, making the whole structure less stable despite having the rear wheels being filled. Going on the cutting half of the journey with the FEL very near the ground [the growth was very high and thick so I used the FEL as an advanced 'sensor' in case anything solid was hidden in the vegetation] and, of course, the mower deck down, it was far more stable and probably the first passage started the soft ground moving down slope.

I VERY quickly dropped the FEL and the deck and stabilized the situation enough to back out of the 'Trap' and figured a way around the problem situation.

But here is the surprising part. Later I was talking to three other tractor operator friends for one reason or another and, obviously, had to share my 'brush with a horrible death and my astute and heroic escape from disaster' tale. I was astonished to discover that not one of these experienced but amateur tractor users understood enough of the physics to realize what happened and why my 'solution' [dropping the FEL and the deck] was the obvious step to quickly stabilize the solution. Maybe everyone should have to take a course in the use of these dangerous machines just like they need a course [or a test at least, if they have had good informal training already] in driving or gun safety before they are allowed to buy one.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #173  
I had my own [well actually second one. I'm a slow learner.] Oh S**t! moment just yesterday. My old buddy Kubota with FEL and finish 3 blade mower on back as counter weight and I were in a place that I have been many times knocking down some growth on a walking trail on my back 40. So I was more dreaming about my recent trip to Cape Cod than being an alert tractor operator and did not grasp until almost too late that the large amount of rain over the last several months had soften the down slope half of the trail and suddenly I realized that the left front wheel was sinking and the right rear was actually off the ground. I had the FEL AND [since I was 'coming back'] the mower deck lifted, making the whole structure less stable despite having the rear wheels being filled. Going on the cutting half of the journey with the FEL very near the ground [the growth was very high and thick so I used the FEL as an advanced 'sensor' in case anything solid was hidden in the vegetation] and, of course, the mower deck down, it was far more stable and probably the first passage started the soft ground moving down slope.

I VERY quickly dropped the FEL and the deck and stabilized the situation enough to back out of the 'Trap' and figured a way around the problem situation.

But here is the surprising part. Later I was talking to three other tractor operator friends for one reason or another and, obviously, had to share my 'brush with a horrible death and my astute and heroic escape from disaster' tale. I was astonished to discover that not one of these experienced but amateur tractor users understood enough of the physics to realize what happened and why my 'solution' [dropping the FEL and the deck] was the obvious step to quickly stabilize the solution. Maybe everyone should have to take a course in the use of these dangerous machines just like they need a course [or a test at least, if they have had good informal training already] in driving or gun safety before they are allowed to buy one.

Dropping the FEL is obvious to me, but dropping the rear implement is not.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #174  
Has it not occurred to anyone that his JD dealer didn't do him any favors?! Letting that unit out the door with no ballast of any sort - and knowing the size of the bucket he was providing to boot! Sheesh!!!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #175  
Has it not occurred to anyone that his JD dealer didn't do him any favors?! Letting that unit out the door with no ballast of any sort - and knowing the size of the bucket he was providing to boot! Sheesh!!!

EXACTLY! Around here a dealer would be in DEEP DOO DOO for that!!!

PS, a JD 4005 would walk right up those hills, not wasting any power on hydrostatics!!Same size tractor, Collar shift

BEST multi use front end tool!>>>http://artillian.com/

Last edited:
   / almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #176  

True, and that's what we would expect in the United States.
However, the OP lives in Australia and how dealers work there may be quite different.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #177  
I have an L3800 with FEL and on the back I usually have an implement that is fairly heavy such as a rotary tiller that is about 600 lbs or box spreader that is 500 lbs. My tractor seems to handle very well with these attachments both when using the FEL or when just riding on the fields some of which is hilly.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #178  

I recently put in an order with a local Australian Victorian State dealer for a KUBOTA MX5100 HST 4WD 4-1 FEL, SLASHER, CANOPY [no BH avail with this model in Aust] and in respect to dealer providing information prior to my purchase...it was non existent unless i asked the questions...he NEVER offered any real advice and it took me a great deal longer to decide which Tractor to finally put an order for.

He was reasonably forthcoming to every email when i asked questions...a novice would or should ask, and inpatient for me to stop the questions and put the order in, but since i have put my deposit down and i asked a couple more questions...he has NOT answered any of the IMPORTANT questions about the appropriate ballast for the MX5100 with Water in the tires, when using FEL with wet clay..

MOST IF NOT ALL my information has come from the very helpful people in the USA on TBN, YOUTUBE, EVERYTHING ATTACHMENTS, ORANGE TRACTOR MECHANIC etc and asking questions to local farmers and relatives for their opinions of Kubota.

I'm thinking that modern day dealer salespeople are probably poorly advised not to put questions into potential buyers heads by offering reasonable advice for ones needs for fear of either delaying or directing buyers to other brands maybe? I dont really know but its been a nightmare trying decide which Tractor would best suit my intended use, as i have flat, gently undulating and steep acrea areas to deal with.

KUBOTA should look into the calibre of the dealership appointments IMO.
IMO KUBOTA should prepare its own series of YOUTUBE sessions of how to drive, operate and use the Tractors in different situations cluding digging up hard clay areas as a service for intending buyers like me BEFORE customers put in a deposit. Some prearranged driving and safety instructions on a real tractor might actually increase sales too IMO.

I stayed with the dealer due to close proximity and the price, but i expected somewhat a better level of salesmanship and service prior to purchase, but i now know i need to find a local mechanic of which there are many to have it serviced because i doubt the dealer is going to be any great help after delivery and I'll be calling KUBOTA direct with any problems.

I had to ask the dealer to put water in the tires as part of the order,

My basic question which I expected him to just provide a 2 second as he should know reply....but

Can anyone here on TBN the source of most of my education....advise me whether a KANGA M150 SLASHER and with water in tires to 90% capacity with wheels set at largest width will be enough for when i operate the FEL in wet clay?

Thanks guys.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #180  
Thanks, but I'd rather not learn from a good scare. I'd prefer to learn by reading what y'all post here. Much less hassle on the washing machine! :)

Thanks for keeping newbies like me safe.

Rog