Ballast almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #231  
I have also heard it recommended to fill tires no more than 75%, because at least 25% air is needed to maintain proper shock absorption and so forth. To accomplish this, put your valve stem at the 12:00 position and continue to fill until it reaches that level.

GillysChilliFarm - You should heed this advice.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #232  
Thanks JohninCT, can you set out the negative issues so i can raise the issues with my dealer to see how he responds, then contact the Kubota importers to see how they respond dealers responses.. Thanks

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #233  
Ballast in a full time backhoe (hoe or FEL never is removed) should not be required in most cases and has a major downside. FEL use only then ballast in rear tires makes sense but if you can moved it back another three foot (3PH weight) that makes the same weight a lot more of a counter weight.

While it is much larger our 2WD JD 310B backhoe since 1983 has been dry.

Major down side as I see it I would be hung all the time on soft ground. Since I washed the wire screen hydraulic pick up filter and got the water out of the system I can lift and shift the rear over a dug ditch if it is narrow enough. Filled tires would make this hard to lift/shift the rear axle out of its tracks.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #234  
GILLYS CHILLI FARM AUSTRA said:
Thanks JohninCT, can you set out the negative issues so i can raise the issues with my dealer to see how he responds, then contact the Kubota importers to see how they respond dealers responses.. Thanks

Read Joshua's post he has explained the reasoning. The idea is that you don't want your tires hard as a rock. But bottom line is your tractor your decision. You can also refer to the following

http://deltafarmpress.com/proper-tire-ballasting-improves-tractor-performance

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2009/01/how-to-ballast-your-kubotas-tires/

http://www.rimguard.biz/FAQs.html

http://m.moderntiredealer.com/Article/?id=1035

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #235  
Doing so with the bucket rasied the loader becomes a large pry bar. And the action of pushing at a tree with the loader rasied high can have the opposite effect. And cause the tractor to push over. It has happened to me. I was trying to push over a tree that I cut. It was hung up in another tree. As I pushed against it my tractor suddenly tilted off the ground and I almost flipped it. So you would be wise not to use the loader in that fashion. My tractor is a JD 4720 with the heavy duty loader. Picture that tipping over.

Another surprise disaster mode: You can raise the bucket as high as you think correct and then ease into a tall tree that may be dead or seem fragile and looks like you might be able to push it over. I have many times. However, I did that once with a JD4700 (the 2001 variety, 48hp compact tractor) and had the high part of the tree above the bucket get momentum in the wrong direction due to inertia when I shoved it -- back over top of me. It did not come all the way over and I got the heck out away from it but I can see getting killed that way. The danger may not be what the machine can or can't do but rather what you knock down that may fall on you.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #236  
I cannot believe that I sat through and read this whole thread at one time...
I am addicted...
Just a few thoughts...
Most of the comments on here are spot on...
I was raised on a farm with 2WD tractors and we have never had an issue with a FEL lifting the rear end...
We only used our farm tractors for lifting round bales but always had ballast on the rear...
Those older 2WD tractors also had a longer wheel base than typical 4WD compacts do also...
I currently have a NH 1720 and keep about 600# counter weight on the rear end...
Never had an issue with a light rear end picking up loads with the FEL...
I think that in my case 40 plus years of experience driving tractors on the farm has a lot to do with that...
And believe you me that statement is not one of cockiness...
I keep my FEL bucket as low as possible to the ground when moving heavy stuff and proceed at a very safe speed with the FWA always engaged...
I try to keep off hills as much as possible also...
I am glad that no one was injured...

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #237  
I will admit I didn't read the ENTIRE thread:ashamed:

Firstly, I'm glad yer okay.

Secondly, thanks for posting it as it made a VERY good wake-up call.

Though many if not most guys here have more experience than I, I must admit I liked what some Dude said about putting in 4WD not being a silver bullet. When you go down hill with too much front weight, it puts incredible strain on the front axle. Onless you're on an articulating tractor, the tires are getting an incredible workout. Now, imagine turning the wheel - maybe accidently as in hitting a hidden coblestone - and what is going to happen.

In the OP's defense . . . the first time I popped the rear wheels up (Rim-guard rears, but no counter weight at that moment) I also didn't think fast enough to drop the FEL. I got bailed out because the machine was squared to the hill, and the bucket stoped the roll-over.

This post is a great wakup call for me. I often have to travel across slopes. Though I have figured out to keep the bucket inches off the ground - and right hand on the stick - I need to remember to keep the flail mower-my heaviest rear implement- on.

Oh, um. . . you DID have your seatblt on, yes? If that had gone sideways and you'd had no seatbelt on, I might have never benefitted from your story!!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #238  
MF1433 with Woods 7500 2.jpgMF1433 with Woods 7500.jpg

First time poster here who had a similar scary moment when I was new to my 1433V (even with ballast box). Everyone is who stated that you do not think logically or have the reaction skills that first time, is right! I tried to bail off and the seat safety cut the engine and stopped my eminent roll over. That was pure luck and a safety device doing its job. I learned a lot that day!

That was before adding the Woods Groundbreaker backhoe. I leave the hoe on all the time and think it is just great for counting the FEL. I feel very stable. For very heavy loads in the FEL I can load the hoe bucket with weight and also extend the boom and dipperstick out. 100 pounds in the hoe bucket extended out and low, can help significantly with heavy front bucket loads. I love that backhoe!

P.S.
Not sure if all backhoe subframes are designed this way but my Groundbreaker backhoe subframe attaches at several points to the tractor and to the 1466 front end loader frame so the two frames are married to be essentially joined as one large subframe. That's pretty cool.

Last edited:
   / almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #239  
thats what happens when you transport a loaded bucket with it up in the air. Also, why you need a tow to get the back tires on the ground? just lower the darn bucket. Hope you learned from your mistakes so you dont get injured or killed from lack of experience

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #240  
View attachment 289227View attachment 289223

First time poster here who had a similar scary moment when I was new to my 1433V (even with ballast box). Everyone is who stated that you do not think logically or have the reaction skills that first time, is right! I tried to bail off and the seat safety cut the engine and stopped my eminent roll over. That was pure luck and a safety device doing its job. I learned a lot that day!

That was before adding the Woods Groundbreaker backhoe. I leave the hoe on all the time and think it is just great for counting the FEL. I feel very stable. For very heavy loads in the FEL I can load the hoe bucket with weight and also extend the boom and dipperstick out. 100 pounds in the hoe bucket extended out and low, can help significantly with heavy front bucket loads. I love that backhoe!

P.S.
Not sure if all backhoe subframes are designed this way but my Groundbreaker backhoe subframe attaches at several points to the tractor and to the 1466 front end loader frame so the two frames are married to be essentially joined as one large subframe. That's pretty cool.

Welcome to TBN! I am glad your scare didn't result in injury or damage. I don't know if you are still a newby or not, but always remember that flimsy looking seat belt is a real life saver when your tractor has a ROPS, as yours does. Also, a hoe can provide stability in some scenarios and cause instability in others, so take it slow, keep your ROPS up, and your seat belt tight.