Ballast almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #21  
Gotta get them rear tires filled(or rear wheel weights jd wheel weights.jpg if you dont wonna load the tires)and with the ripper you have could weld a bracket were you can add some suitcase weights to each side of the back of it(or in middle)jd weights.jpg.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #22  
A bit surprising that the dealer didn't suggest loaded tires and carrying an implement (at least for ballast), if he was familiar with your terrain and experience.

Live customers tend to generate repeat business.

As a comparison, the bucket on my TN70a is 610kg.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #23  
In addition to all the aforementioned, I would give serious consideration to getting a second, lighter bucket to add to your selection of equipment.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #24  
Glad your OK. Did you clean and disinfect that tractor seat? :laughing:

We have a Back Hoe on our so I don't usually have your situation. Even though our ground is rather flat (after all, I live in Florida) I have been doing some digging with the front bucket to make a pond area. The way out after a number of bucket loads has gotten a bit steep.

One day when I had the BH off so we could use the 3PH I took some loads of dirt out of the hole for filling elsewhere. This was the first time I had used the tractor without the BH on.

What a difference!

While I was backing out of the hole with the bucket full the tractor started to lift the rear. I took it slow, kept the FEL low and was in 4WD. I made it out and emptied the bucket.

Before making additional loads I put the tiller on the 3PH.

What a difference!

I no longer had a front-heavy machine that wanted to lift the rear.

We found that when we don't have the BH on the rear we need to keep something on the 3PH. We find we like the tiller better then a bush-hog, disk, plow or such (don't have a box blade)

We like the tiller because it adds sufficient weight but does not stick out so far behind the tractor like the mower and is heavier then the disk or plow.

Also, when doing loader work or just if I need to lift the front bucket I keep my one hand on the loader stick while I drive with the other - that way I can drop the bucket if needed.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #25  
Real glad to hear your ok !
Sometimes some of us let pride get in the way and we would not want anyone to even know something like that happened to us. Very humble and wise of you to share your experience, if in future it keeps people thinking about safety even one your thread like countless others in past more than well worth it.

Boone

BTW: Big Thanks for not posting pic of underwear you were wearing when that happened ! :)

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #26  
Real glad to hear your ok !
Sometimes some of us let pride get in the way and we would not want anyone to even know something like that happened to us. Very humble and wise of you to share your experience, if in future it keeps people thinking about safety even one your thread like countless others in past more than well worth it.

Boone

BTW: Big Thanks for not posting pic of underwear you were wearing when that happened ! :)

We learn from fellow members, I second the thanks for sharing your story and pics. Glad it didn't flip, could have been real nasty. :):)

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #27  
Dang man, just ...DANG!
I've been up on two wheels, going downhill, backwards, so just looking at the pictures scares me!

Three things every FEL user should know (and some of us learned the hard way):

1. Keep 4WD engaged unless you are on pavement. Most tractors don't have front wheel brakes.
  2. Rear ballast. Fill your rear tires (no more than 70%), but that's not enough. There are some good posts on TBN about making your own weight box, or you can keep something heavy attached to your 3 point hitch.
  3. Keep the bucket no more than a foot or so off the ground when traveling.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #28  
Close call.
Glad your OK.
More ballast and carrying the bucket lower may help this from happening again in the future.
Once the wheels are off the ground (like in your photos) lowering the loader boom and pressing the bucket into the ground will push the rear wheels back down onto the ground.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #29  
all good replies. We all can't say it enough - you need rear ballast. it doesnt matter if you have liquid ballast in rear tires, or have a weight box, or cast weight to go in rims, heavier implement then the rippers, add a custom made concrete weight to do on rippers bar- or any combination of above. take your pick.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #30  
This seems to be typical of a lot of new tractors these days...put a loader on them that is way to big for the machine (I don't care what the dealer says). It's OBVIOUS it's too much loader when AN EMPTY BUCKET can tip the tractor onto it's nose when driving straight downhill.

Just for comparison, my unballasted 6500 pound 3010 has a 6 foot wide non 4 way bucket (148 loader) and 22" more wheelbase compared to that 3000 pound 4105 and I never have issues with stability.