Ballast almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #31  
For some, a decent book helps a lot. I would suggest Operating Techniques for the Tractor-Loader-Backhoe Revise Edition by GAry J. Ober. I got mine from Equipment Training Resources, HEAVY EQUIPMENT TRAINING VIDEOS & BOOKS | ETR: Equipment Training Resources - Backhoe Training, Loader Training, Excavator Training, Trencher Training and Hydraulics Training Books & Videos, is the web site on the inside cover. The book (about 300 pages) explains the concept of center of gravity and keeping the center of gravity as low as possible. I would think it is still in print and can be shipped to you in Sydney. The book is soft cover and is mostly for full-size Tractor-Loader -Backhoes, but the information and photos is helpful for smaller rigs, in my estimation. As someone must have already stated be sure to wear your seatbelt and keep that front bucket as low as you can. My rig is a very small TLB and the backhoe weighs about 700 LBS and of courses hangs about 5 feet off the back of the tractor. This makes for an excellent counter weight. Happy and safe tractoring!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #32  
Looks like you were trying out for a Bobcat style commercial spinning on your front tires!

Seriously, this is a good time to buy a backhoe, or at least a big heavy Box Blade.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #33  
Ok I looked up your tractor on Tractordata, and I see it is a 2 speed hydro. so on your hilly terrain, I think you are going to be in LO most of the time with your weight on the 3pt:). and judging by the size of your tractor I am still thinking 750 to 1000 lbs on the rear AND loaded tires for your area, of course the bucket maneuver up high was the final straw in the chain of events that got you where your were. Good luck (and you seem like a lucky guy:)) in the future man.

James K0UA

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #34  
#800 cement block is what i made, Forms are plywood and the 3 point connections are welded inside the cement, just use webbing layers in the cement, believe me anyone with a welder can make this. Easy !!!

Attachments

• DSCN2082.JPG
    DSCN2082.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 456
   / almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #35  
Looks like you were trying out for a Bobcat style commercial spinning on your front tires!

Seriously, this is a good time to buy a backhoe, or at least a big heavy Box Blade.

Backhoes aren't really practical as rear ballast unless you have need of a backhoe...even then, they do raise the tractor's center of gravity. Also, a lot of money for a backhoe!!
A box blade would be OK...but not as good as a ballast box and more money (for the box blade) for less weight.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #36  
Backhoes aren't really practical as rear ballast unless you have need of a backhoe...even then, they do raise the tractor's center of gravity. Also, a lot of money for a backhoe!!
A box blade would be OK...but not as good as a ballast box and more money (for the box blade) for less weight.

Almost always a compromise one way or the other. We don't used a ballast box as I can always use a box blade when doing work and I HATE changing equipment out.

A ballast box is one of those things I keep meaning to get around to but never do.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #37  
Almost always a compromise one way or the other. We don't used a ballast box as I can always use a box blade when doing work and I HATE changing equipment out.

A ballast box is one of those things I keep meaning to get around to but never do.

agreed on all points
:thumbsup:

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #38  
One of the things you'll learn is that when moving down hill with a full bucket in the air, you want to keep a hand on the FEL lever....

Yep, I spend a lot of time with the FEL in many different types of terrain, so I adjusted my FEL lever so I can comfortably operate it with my elbow resting on the fender. I almost always drive with my left hand on the wheel my right hand on the FEL lever. I've had a few close calls that were saved by a quick downward action of the FEL :)

And yes...keep it low, especially when loaded.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #39  
So its about a 300kg bucket! that plus the 300cx seems to be quit alot of weight at the front.

That is half the capacity of your loader. It's no wonder you went over on your nose. The dealer recommended that?

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #40  
That is half the capacity of your loader. It's no wonder you went over on your nose. The dealer recommended that?

Something seems off with this dealer, it seems like he was trying to get the OP killed

Maybe he has a thing for your wife?

No apparent instruction on operation, no recomondation on using ballast, selling him an EXTREEMLY heavy FEL bucket
:cool:

Last edited: