Ballast almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #81  
PUCKER FACTOR_

10!

:newhere:

:ashamed:

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #82  
Downward pressure is going to lower the back wheels. The loader is what kept it from going endover. Thank goodness you did'nt kick into float position.

The loader is what made it stand up and going to float would have made it fall back down or even prevent the situation all together. Find a dirt pile on flat ground and get to know your tractor.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #83  
When you get a mind to, on some flat ground, put your bucket in dump position with the front edge of the bucket pointing straight down towards the ground, and push the control stick forward gently and the front wheels should come off of the ground easily about 18 inches. Do not put your foot on the brakes while doing this as the tractor needs to rotate backward around the rear axle. Then practice letting it down gently, Not dropping it like a rock if you yank the stick but by pulling back on on the control stick gently and slowly.. practice this several times to get the feel of feathering the controls, and it will also help get over any residual fear you may have. If the loader will not easily pick up the front end, then it is time to call the dealer. As for the bucket, is it really 72 inches 6 feet? That is a little big for your tractor. Your standard bucket on that rig is I believe 61 inches. You might look into getting a second standard bucket. I have 2 buckets the 66 incher that came with my tractor and I still have the 59 1/2 inch bucket that I converted from my last tractor to SSQA.. There is a major difference in the way the buckets feel loaded with a heavy load. Also a difference in the way they dig. I will tell you this, If I was wanting to teach someone how to use a FEL, I would start them out on the smaller bucket..It will build confidence quicker, and is easier in a lot of respects. Good luck down there and be safe, you have already contributed to this forum, and we would like you to continue .:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #84  
John,

Thats good advice. The reason I was recommending the rim guard, or an equivalent is because it weights about 4 times as much as water, so it will give you more balast, but I am not sure about the availability in AU?

Ummm, not 4 times. 1.4 maybe...

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!
Downward pressure is going to lower the back wheels. The loader is what kept it from going endover. Thank goodness you did'nt kick into float position.

When you get a chance (on flat ground) practice the heck out of using the FEL. Understand exactly how it works. You can apply down pressure and easily lift the front tires off the ground. Doing this will give you an idea just how powerful FEL down pressure is.

just went and attached the bucket and had a go, when the bucket is flat on the ground so like this ___ it lifted up the front maybe 12 inches?

But if i tilt it to around this angle \ ( less than that maybe 30 degrees) it lifts a lot higher.

Does this sound about right?

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #86  
just went and attached the bucket and had a go, when the bucket is flat on the ground so like this ___ it lifted up the front maybe 12 inches?

But if i tilt it to around this angle ( less than that maybe 30 degrees) it lifts a lot higher.

Does this sound about right?

Sounds good,

James K0UA

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!
thanks so much for all this help guys!

its very much appreciated

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #88  
Ummm, not 4 times. 1.4 maybe...

No, I was wrong, That would be pretty dense, I meant to say 40%, not 4 times, but it is actually 30% heavier than water according to their site. I was thinking of Calcium Chloride that is 40% more, but definitely not 400% more like I suggested. Rim Guard - Liquid Tire Ballast

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #89  
John,

Thats good advice. The reason I was recommending the rim guard, or an equivalent is because it weights about 4 times as much as water, so it will give you more balast, but I am not sure about the availability in AU?

ummm I beg to differ with you, but Rim guard weighs somewhere around 11 pounds per gallon, verses water weighing 8. something pounds per gallon
Rimguard is ~ 3 pounds per gallon more than water

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #90  
ummm I beg to differ with you, but Rim guard weighs somewhere around 11 pounds per gallon, verses water weighing 8. something pounds per gallon
Rimguard is ~ 3 pounds per gallon more than water

We must have been typing at the same time, I made a mistake, I meant to say 40% not 4 times. I guess I need some coffee..